E911 as it relates to lobby phones

Hi,
Taking into account Kari and Baum, will i need to assign a DID to my lobby phone and set a dispatchable location information? I ask because we specifically do not want people on this phone calling out. it was meant to be a way for visitors to get an employee, we really did not want anyone waking up to the phone from outside and dialing out…but I am guessing that is what we will have to do…

Anyone have any insights on this?
thanks

That’s exactly what it needs to do. If it’s connected to your PBX then it must be able to dial 911 per the new rules. It doesn’t need to be able to dial anything else external such as local/long distance but it must be able to call 911.

You’ll also need to notify somebody when 911 is dialed.

EDIT: On new systems, starting this past Sunday. I don’t think existing systems are affected. But that could change.

Yes, I thought so. How would I go about limiting what the extension could dial…lets say if I wanted them to be able to dial 53nn and 911…would I do that in an outbound route?

Either that or a “custom context” (like “from-internal”, but changed) that limited your choices. There are also package like the Dynamic Routes package (which has been mentioned a few times this week) to limit what calls go where.

IMO, easiest is Class of Service commercial module. Next choice, Extension Routes module.

DIY: Set up an Outbound Route after emergency routes but before your normal outbound calling routes. Have it match the caller ID of the lobby phones, with no trunks.

3 Likes

I like the custom context method for restricting lobby phones.

[from-house-phone]
; Assuming the allowed to call extension range is 1200 - 1299
; Adjust as needed, remove the _ if you set to a specific extension i.e. 1234
exten => _12XX,1,Goto(from-internal,${EXTEN},1)
exten => 911,1,Goto(from-internal,${EXTEN},1)
exten => _[*0-9]!,1,Playback(ss-noservice)
exten => h,1,Hangup()

Then in the extension advanced settings, change the context to from-house-phone or whatever you named it.

3 Likes

Adding 933 for testing and/or 9911 with strip of the leading 9 might also be useful.

There is no reason for “testing” on a house phone. It simply needs to be able to dial 911.

The routing is handled by the PBX and is the same for every device at the same location. The PBX knows what exention dial and has the rules for putting the right information on the call.

Funny you mention that. I had to enact the required changes on an older ShoreTel setup we have in our Tulsa offices. I thought I had issues with my config when users there reported they couldn’t get out dialing 933. I looked at my implementation for a good hour or so. Before I realized their local service provider doesn’t even support the 933 automated test number!

This is not some standardized thing.

It is something some carriers have simply started doing.

I guess i disagree, i would want to test the context method itself, but I like the idea, i will use it

thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.