Do TFTP Settings Need Changed If I Replaced PBX Box?

I recently migrated my PBX from one system to another (and I kept my same IP address) and everything is working great with a brand-new fresh install of FreePBX with the exception of TFTP - which I need for a few Cisco phones I have around. The phones all register properly (restored Extensions) and I can call in and out, so the PBX itself is great.

I don’t see any log messages at all but the only change is that I put a new box in place of an old one with the same IP address so I’m wondering if there’s a setting that needs to change on a fresh install. I remember it seemed to have taken forever for me to get the TFTP dialed in on the old system but it’s been so long I don’t recall what may have changed.

At any rate I would expect to see the attempt to communicate logged and I don’t see that at all. Everything else, once I set the IP address to be the same, came right up and worked like a charm but not TFTP.

TFTP is not enabled by default if I recall correctly.

Always has been for me.

Not always. TFTP is one of those services that comes and goes. With SysAdmin Pro, you can set the TFTP service to run, but you still have to do that by hand.

By default, without SysAdmin Pro, the TFTP service should be defaulted to “Not running”. If you want it to run, you need to adjust the local firewall settings (add a service in the server) and turn the tftpd service on in the /etc/xinetd.d (IIRC) directory.

I see that the firewall has TFTP server as “Local” under extra services so I assume that is enabled for local use. The xinetd.d/tftp shows that “disable = no” so I assume that means it is already running. If those both indicate a proper setup for TFTP server then I’m confused why I don’t get any logs when my Option 66 is set to the IP address of my PBX server.

There is a line at the start of the tftp config that says ‘default: off’ but it’s commented so I don’t think that has any bearing.

Is there something special about Cisco 7970’s in regards to how it needs to talk to TFTP?

[root@freepbx xinetd.d]# cat tftp
# default: off
# description: The tftp server serves files using the trivial file transfer \
#	protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#	workstations, download configuration files to network-aware printers, \
#	and to start the installation process for some operating systems.
service tftp
{
	socket_type		= dgram
	protocol		= udp
	wait			= yes
	user			= root
	server			= /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
	server_args		= -v  -s /tftpboot
	disable			= no
	per_source		= 11
	cps			= 100 2
	flags			= IPv4
}

Are you passing an option 66 (or maybe 125, IIRC) that points the phone at the TFTP service?

The option 66 is just on our DHCP server. I don’t think the phones are hard-coded to a TFTP server but I’ll verify that.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.