Digium Phones / DPMA - Firmware and Time zones

tl;dr: How do I set the timezone default for Digium Phones, and how do I get them to pull firmware updates?

I’m running AsteriskNOW / FreePBX (at this point, I don’t even know how to tell you properly what version things are, but Asterisk11 / FreePBX 12.0.76.4 / SHMZ release 6.5 / pbx-version 6.12.65-30 is what I do know).

I have recently started using Digium phones (and the digium_phones module, and the DPMA module). Everything, generally, works, and I have “easy mode” enabled (default). Phones connect, they get configurations, they can get the phonebook etc, but I have two issues:

1. Phones come up in the wrong timezone. I assume they are just coming up with the default (America/Los Angeles). I can’t figure out how to change this without manually configuring all my devices. (i.e. I could disable easy mode, and manually configure each phone with the correct timezone, but I don’t want to). I want everything, by default, to come up in America/Chicago.

2. Phones don’t pull the new firmware (I successfully downloaded the newest from the GUI, and confirmed it is in the file system, and configured at /etc/asterisk/res_digium_phones_firmware.conf). I can manually do it (I set up an avahi service for firmware per the Digium instructions, and that did work fine, albeit I had to manually boot to it from the device).

I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around where all of this configuration comes from between DPMA / Digium Phones module / FreePBX.

To force a firmware to a specific phone, it must be downloaded through the gui as you have done, and then you have to edit the specific phone and select the firmware from the pull-down menu. Make sure that the firmware “package” you downloaded contains a firmware file for your model, or select an additional package that does. If you are unable to get this to work with these steps, please let me know which firmware package version, and also what model phone you have.

Separately on the timezone issue, I agree that there should be a better default, and I’ve added an issue to look at changing the default to match the timezone of the system.

Thanks for responding.

If I understand your response, setting the firmware is “not possible” in “Easy Mode”, as it requires per-phone configuration?

I was able to update the firmware using the avahi/xml service manually, so I know it works, I just thought there might be a way in the “Digium Phones” module to set a “default firmware” for all phones, or for at least all phones of model “X”.

As for the timezone question, you said you created an issue? Is this something that is public facing that I can see/track somewhere? Sorry if this is a silly question, I am new to the community here.

Unfortunately, there is not a default firmware option at this time. Firmware must be selected for each phone individually for it to be automatically updated on phone restart.

Digium maintains a private Jira instance to track issues with the DPMA components. I’ve created an issue there so that it gets prioritized and worked on. There is however no way for you to see the issue status.