Dialup internet Through Freepbx?

Hello, I know a few people ask this qauestion and I’ll be the next guy to ask this as well. I know seen and read alot of people asking and talking about trying to get there old Devices that only have dialup modems to work on the current internet connection.

I’m also trying to do the same thing as well. I don’t have any pots lines on DID phone line numbers for my FREEpbx server. But i was curious Can I interact my Dial up laptop to my freepbx server to get online? Is there a way is what I’m asking. If so How can I do that? Everything I read so far online is confusing to say the least. Any advice would be great thank you.

Joseph

If you have an FXS card on your PBX (or an ATA or other FXS gateway registered as an extension), your laptop’s modem should be able to dial into a commercial dial-up internet service, but it will likely be slow and unreliable. I recommend this only if it’s a ‘museum’ or similar project where doing it the traditional way is important.

I’ve never seen such a laptop. Most old ones have a serial port, parallel port and/or a PCMCIA slot.

If your machine has PCMCIA and you have a way to get the driver loaded (it has a CD drive, you have a way to write a floppy, it has kermit, etc.), I recommend e.g. Dynex DX-E202 CardBus Network Card 32-Bit 10/100 Mbps PCMCIA for Laptop Computer | eBay , because you will then be independent of other machines.

Or, if you have another machine with a serial port, run a null modem cable between them and set up PPP.

Laptop make/model? OS?

Hello Stewart, There are a few old devices I have a Old palm Pallet that has a Dialup modem on it. No slot for anything for ethernet or wireless. I been trying to get it back to online. I had a chat script a friend of mine made to work on it back in the 90s. I can still get it to run if I can get a dialup to it.

Joseph

Edit: I do have a couple of Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 would they work?

Do you have a working ‘dial-up’ account?

Hey Dicko, No sir. Not even a analong pots line anymore.

Joseph

then it will be harder :wink:

Yes Sir that is what i’m finding out. I did find a guy onyoutube who is doing something like this. i’m trying to learn how he did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk86uqEiwpE

Joseph

Edit: I just found that video not to long ago.

Unless you limit yourself to just email , you probably will waste a lot if time and money and not be happy you tried.

We don’t have any pots lines = normal phone lines in our building. Can not put any in either. I know there is a easier way. I just need to research it a little more.

Joseph

Using an ATA, as long as all the codecs match the PSTN codec (A-law or µ-law, depending on country) and you have a high quality connection, with low latency, you should be able to get up to 1200/75. Above that, latency may be an issue. 56000 can really only be achieved if there is only one codec between you and the high speed sender, and I think you would be very lucky to get it work. (56000 basically works by treating the connection as digital and sending the right signal levels to generate something close to the intended digital signal once it has gone through the codec.)

One of the issues with the move to making the PSTN be VoIP is that the slow speed modems used in social alarms are not necessarily able to cope with the extended round trip times.

If what you’re trying to do is get a dialup device to talk Ethernet then you need a modem and a serial to Ethernet box such as a lantronix or similar. I deployed 100’s of these back in the early 2000”s to connect to Mitel PBX that had both serial and Ethernet connections and only pots dialup to the modem . Near the end we were using these Avocent Cyclades ACS1 Console Server ~ USED | eBay

Note any “analog fxs” device you use will need echo cancellation and other audio processing disabled

1 Like

Good point. One of the purposes of the 2100Hz answer tone is to do that to the PSTN, but I’d be surprised if ATA looked for it.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.