Custom Dial Plan for Conference Calls

Freepbx version 12.0.74, Asterisk version 11.17.1.

I have a request from an employee. He wants to be able to add our conference call phone number and access code to the phone book on his phone. Our outbound dialing goes through voip.ms. When he adds (example: 18005554444,123456) to the phone book, It just tells him the number is not valid. I have read that you can not do that over SIP, but everything I see is from a few years ago. Is there a dial plan that I can use in the GUI? If so, does anyone have an example of how to set this up?

Thank you for any help.

Your configuration will make a lot of difference in options. For example, if your PBX is local and trunked through voip.ms, you don’t want to send you local calls out through the PBX to get them back to your conference line - it just burns up external bandwidth. Have him set the local extension of your conference (1991, for example) instead of the 800 number. Having said that, there is lots of magic involved in getting the ‘,’ thing to work right, and a lot depends on the phone and the way you set it up.

For example, if I set up a local dial string in my phone, the comma-comma thing might work, but if I use the phone book app, I don’t think it will. Now, having said that, I don’t want people to know my conference pins unless they have a need to, so I’d never set that up.

At first blush, I think it’s going to be hit or miss on getting it working right consistently.

Thank you Dave for your reply. I should have mentioned that at the moment we use gotomeeting for conference calls. Some people use their phones to call in and some use their computers to call in. I am going to try and set up a number for our main branch that everyone will be able to call into and for people using their computers, have them use a soft phone to call in from. We are starting to use the Ubuquiti UVP phones and this is the phone that he is trying to dial from.