Connecting Ring Central to FreePBX as a trunk

I have an on-site install of FreePBX that is primarily used for internal calls between about 40 buildings. There was a separate phone system for the few locations that needed to make/receive external calls for the overall organization. The parent organization is transitioning to RingCentral as their VoIP provider. What I’m hoping to do is create a bridge between the two systems.

In Ring Central I can create an extension (say, #123) and get a set of SIP credentials for it. I’d like to use those credentials to register a trunk in FreePBX, such that if you were to call #123 from the Ring Central system, it would connect via the trunk to FreePBX and land in the main FreePBX IVR. Likewise, on the FreePBX system, you could dial a Ring Central extension (say, #456) and use outbound routes to drive that extension over the trunk to RC. I would imagine that calls from FreePBX to RC would always appear to be coming from that one extension (#123) which is fine for my purposes.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this? Apparently RingCentral has a “cloud connector” for connecting to legacy PBX systems but it runs to thousands of dollars a month.

Any experience using Ring Central as a trunk in FreePBX? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I see no technical problem with the connection. But check with Ring Central whether their limitations on concurrent incoming and/or outgoing calls to/from a single extension conflict with your requirements. Possibly, connecting to more than one extension will help.

If this system is in the US, see

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.