Configuring FreePBX for single dial-in, multiple-bridge conferencing

Hi,
I have several users who want to become admin on their own conference rooms.

I would like to keep a single dial-in number for all conferences while allowing them their individual bridges (which I suspect will involve one DID number per bridge).

Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

Thanks.

Not exactly sure what you’re saying…but…I think this is the translation!

You want to have a single number that someone calls, then enters one of several conference numbers.

You also want to be able to DID any conference…right?

Ok…

The first is accomplished with an IVR. Instead of “Press 1 for this or 2 for that”, simply say, “Please enter your conference number”. The selections would be the conference number. You’d point the selection for “8200” to Conference 8200, etc.

Thanks Bill. Very informative.

I believe that in the case of the IVR solution you proposed, we would need a solitary DID number, but a proportional number of channels (please advise on the formula you use to specify the number of channels you recommend for 25, 50, and 75 participants, for example).

Back to the original question, what are your thoughts on the best way to accomplish dial-outs while in session (i.e. during the conference call),  are dedicated DID numbers (one per bridge) the solution we seek for or avoidable?

Best

You need a channel for each participant and lots of stable symmetric bandwidth.

It’s usually not cost effective to pay for the resources to host large conferences unless you are doing it every day.

Even with g.729 you would need a real solid 4M of upstream bandwidth. A cable modem won’t handle it (even the so called wideband DOCSIS 3 stuff).

I don’t have any idea on that although I also want to be an admin in my own conference room. I appreciate any help from you guys.

The simple answer is yes - you can be an admin on your own conference bridge - make several conference bridges and go the IVR route as suggested. Otherwise go with a free conferencing system like www.freeconferencecall.com - they have the bandwidth and ability to do the same