Conference Calls & g729 licenses

Hello,

I bought five g729 licenses and when I call into a conference call it uses 3 of the 5 licenses and when the second caller calls in they use up another 2 licenses not allowing anyone to call in. Why is is that 2 conference callers are using up 5 g729 licenses? Is there away to fix this or do i have to buy more licenses per conference caller? Also how many licenses would have to be bought per caller?

One license per channel. Execute the command “core show channels” while a conference is up and we can look at your channel utilization.

Here is what i get when i do g729 show licenses and core show channels with only one conference caller on the conference call.

pbx*CLI> g729 show licenses
3/3 encoders/decoders of 5 licensed channels are currently in use

Licenses Found:
File: G729-XXXXXXXXXXXX.lic – Key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX – Host-ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX – Channels: 2 (Expires: 2031-10-20) (OK)
File: G729-XXXXXXXXXXXX.lic – Key: G729-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX – Host-ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX – Channels: 3 (Expires: 2031-10-22) (OK)

pbxCLI> core show channels
Channel Location State Application(Data)
DAHDI/pseudo-2925054 s@default:1 Rsrvd (None)
SIP/203-00000005 STARTMEETME@from-int Up MeetMe(1001,123456)
2 active channels
1 active call
6 calls processed
pbx
CLI>

Not sure why it is three instead of two for the first one but I believe each caller is going to take two, one to transcode into the conference bridge and one to transcode from the conference bridge back to each user.

A conference has to be transcoded to a linear format in order to do the mixing, so as a general rule it’s a bad idea to use any compressed codec when going into a conference.

It may not be an option in your case if you really do need these channels to be coming in on g729 but that’s something you may want/need to review. I don’t know your specific circumstance but I’ve seen many users believe they need g729 when often they don’t and it causes them more harm then good.

Yeah from what I am seeing it appears that this can get really costly really quickly as it could end up costing $30.00 per caller. If i wanted to go back to ulaw how could I set that up? Or is there away for the first few callers to use g729 and then the rest use ulaw?

Thanks!