Community Contributions

I noticed on github there is a lot of pull request and many are not responded to. I believe there was a policy change to submit PR’s through the official bitbucket. It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to add a CONTRIBUTING.md like https://gist.github.com/PurpleBooth/b24679402957c63ec426
to let people know they need to come to bitbucket, create/reference a ticket, sign a cla etc.

I am sure there is automation that could also decline the PR automatically and provide the same info.

Note in the devtools I wrote automation to add README files to each module so that is probably easily adapted.

in hindsight I would have used an external template file.

4 Likes

Agree on both points - particularly an auto-decline with an appropriate, friendly message to resubmit via jira/bitbucket.

But, I’d be curious how many of the PRs have not already found their way to bitbicket.

This is the problem if they don’t reference a ticket, it’s hard to say. In some cases others may have experienced the issue, files a ticket and it was resolved internally. I know superfecta has 15 open PRs it is unlikely those were internally solved if they are new sources.

I just sent a user to github for a module that had not been merged in another thread.

Yes and it (the Send to MQTT source) would be a great addition to superfecta – I’ll look into the procedure on bitbucket. I have a new module that folks might be interested in.

And on that subject…

Also, search sucks on bitbucket. I had to use github to find what I was looking for when I wanted to make the PR I recently submitted for logrotate in core.

That or download everything locally, and then search.

Yeah that has been one downfall of bitbucket. I have essentially always used github or grep for search. Unfortunately github only searches the master branch. Search has been the main perk of the github mirror

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.