Cisco ATA186 problem

hello all,

i’m trying to connect two Cisco ATAs 186, on my Freepbx distro… but i’m receiving such messages:

[2017-09-26 23:26:01] NOTICE[11642]: res_pjsip/pjsip_distributor.c:649 log_failed_request: Request ‘REGISTER’ from ‘“Metron6-1” sip:[email protected];user=phone’ failed for ‘10.122.2.46:5060’ (callid: [email protected]) - Failed to authenticate
[2017-09-26 23:26:01] NOTICE[11642]: res_pjsip/pjsip_distributor.c:649 log_failed_request: Request ‘REGISTER’ from ‘“Metron6-2” sip:[email protected];user=phone’ failed for ‘10.122.2.46:5060’ (callid: [email protected]) - Failed to authenticate

any help ?
ATAs are working for sure, i had them connected on an old Elastix distro…

i tried almost everything… chan_sip, pjsip, 5060 5160, no good…
has anyone managed to get them to work ?

Are these devices on the same LAN?
Also, can you try a factory reset?

Much luck.

There’s got to be a problem in your trunk definition. It could be an IP address error, a bad password, or a bad user ID. Have you tried using the units in “peer” mode instead of “friend” or “user” mode (so the authentication will be exclusively by IP address?

A SIP debug might be in order so you can see what the ATA is actually doing.

when i was creating the extension, i was copying the password and added it to ATA 186 account…
something was going wrong…

i tried simple passwords like 123 and everything worked…

thank you very much all…

Not familiar with that specific device, but other Cisco devices have a 30 character limit on passwords. FreePBX generates 32 character passwords by default but that is adjustable in Advanced Settings.

… and other Cisco devices have even more limited passwords. Some of the older phones, for example, are limited to about 10 characters.

1 Like

I had a similar experience with an old LeadTek BVA8051 ATA I picked up at the thrift store (new in the box) - I struggled for several hours trying to get it to authenticate, only to discover it had a 20 character limit on the SIP password.