Cisco 7962 Help

Hi,

We are running FreePBX 2.10.0.4. In the past we ran Cisco 7960G phones, but those are now discontinued direct from Cisco. So we purchased 7962G phones, but we can’t get them to work.

We have tried various forms of of the latest phone firmware.

Right now all it is doing is is connecting via tftp, downloading firmware, (assuming) installing it, and then it repeats.

Has anyone had any luck with getting these phones to work with this version of freepbx?

After some searching, I am not seeing very much on this topic.

Thanks in advance!

The next release of Commercial EPM is due out tomorrow that has support for these phones.

I put the SIP42.8-5-4S.loads on the phones, then i selected the 7940 model on the freepbx and it works well.

I have some CP-7962 and 7942 phones not in use anymore and have been trying to get them running on our system. I have been having the exact same issue where the phone goes into a look just saying upgrading but never continuing. I do have the phone setup in the End Point manager the same as all of our other working phones but no luck getting this model to boot fully.

I have a Cisco 7962G and the firmware upgrade to SIP42.8-5-3S.loads worked fine and it now runs SIP firmware.

My issue currently is the configuration. I have tried using the automatic settings but they do not seem to work from the Endpoint Manager module.

Correction, I got my Cisco 7962G phone working properly.

I used the SIP42.8-5-3S.loads firmware I found online and told the OSS Endpoint Manager module that the phone was a 7961G and then updated the image name to ‘SIP42.8-5-3S’ and it now works correctly.

I still did not figure out the background image and a few small features but aside from that it works perfectly.

This is how we got the 7962 phone working in our environment. Your success may vary and we can not provide further support or suggestions beyond this posting.

Some notes:

• The phones appear to have an XML parsing bug. In your SEP$mac.cnf.xml file, and must be on a single line, with all its content on the same line.

• The SEP$mac.cnf.xml template example at the bottom of this post does not implement an outbound proxy. If you need an outbound proxy, use:
    your.pbx.outbound.proxy.fqdn.comtrue

• The ‘true’ in SEP$mac.cnf.xml is very important. Without this, the PBX will not direct call notifications to the phone.

• Enabling Remote Party ID on the 7962s may cause packet loss as the INVITE packets may end up being large and fragmented (most likely due to the much larger capabilities statement).

• The firmware upgrade process from SCCP to SIP on the 7962 takes a while and the phone will reboot a few times.

• You’ll need to set the Model to 7961G (as stated by snowtr) in the OSS Endpoint Manager

Troubleshooting tips:

• Watch the Phone Status Messages (Settings -> Status -> Status Messages) as the phone boots
  • Watch the tftpserver’s /var/log/messages as the phone boots (be sure to add ‘-vvv’ to ‘server_args’ in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp if your tftp server is Linux).
  • TCPdump on a port mirrored by the phone is very useful
  • Login to the Asterisk CLI (asterisk -vvvvvr) and run ‘sip show peers like 1234’ where 1234 is the extension you are testing. This will give you a status of what Asterisk thinks of the phone
  • Enable sip debug (‘sipdebug = yes’ in /etc/asterisk/sip.conf) and then search the asterisk logs for the extension, this is very useful.
  • Enabling web access on the phone and looking at the logs produced there can be useful

Versions tested: FreePBX 2.10.0.4

Extension settings:
canreinvite: yes
Nat: No

Firmware:
SIP42.9-3-1SR2-1S

Other tftp files needed:
term42.default.loads
term62.default.loads

XML template (in OSS Endpoint Template Manager: SEP$mac.cnf.xml):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> SIP 2 M/D/YA Eastern Standard/Daylight Time {$network_time_server} Unicast your.pbx.server.fqdn.com 5060 1 false true false false 101 3 avt false false 3 {$displayname.line.1} 1 false 15000 10 false 16384 32768 5060 184 0 dialplan0.xml true true x-cisco-serviceuri-cfwdall x-cisco-serviceuri-pickup x-cisco-serviceuri-opickup x-cisco-serviceuri-gpickup x-cisco-serviceuri-meetme x-cisco-serviceuri-abbrdial false 2 true true 2 2 0 true 6 10 180 3600 5 120 120 5 500 4000 70 false None {line_loop} 9 {$shortname.line.{$line}} USECALLMANAGER 5060 {$authname.line.{$line}} {$displayname.line.{$line}} 3 {$authname.line.{$line}} {$secret.line.{$line}} true 3 *97 4 5 {$authname.line.$line} {/line_loop} true 2 false false 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 00:00 00:00 00:00 1 English_United_Kingdom en_US 1.0.0.0-1 iso-8859-1 1.0.0.0-1 3804