Cisco 7940's & FreePBX

I am still surprised that tftp server is not installed. If this is really the distro it should be there by default.

Are you confusing the tftp package (which is the client) for the tftp-server package ?

how can i go about finding or installing the tftp. i cant find it in the modules section. possibly. can you elaborate. this may be my grey area. thanks.

yeah. but the phone still shows an “x” next to it. the other phones on the status page say 3 online phones. i do not know.

i have not installed or configured the tftp yet. is there a guide or link? and download? some sites i do not trust and i did not see it in modules. thanks

I think it is installed you just have to enable it.

I gave you this information already.

You need to make sure tftp is enabled in /etc/xinetd.conf

Then, to help with troubleshooting you need to turn up the verbosity of tftp by changing the line in /etc/inetd.d/tftp to

’ server_args = -v -s /tftpboot’

The -v turns up the verbosity of the logs.

Then restart your service with ‘service xinetd restart’

You need to make sure you set your globals right in the endpoint manager for the Cisco phones. If you have not then the phone will try and pull different firmware as soon as it gets the config.

As far as why it’s not on by default? That’s a debate, many people have different setups. Most phones accept tftp, ftp and http as valid provisioning methods.

This isn’t an off the shelf Cisco phone system, these are very old barely supported phone on a third party system. A little knowledge is necessary.

I agree with SkykingOH, there’s no real substitute for knowing what you are doing.

I run Trixbox CE, but I have seen those little x’s before. Turn NAT off in Trixbox

My suggestion to you, is to read Trixbox without Tears by Ben Sharif. It helped me, and it might help you. http://asterisk.ru/store/files/trixbox_without_tears.pdf

Good luck!

And when you eventually understand that Trickybox is dead and gone, and there is no support for it anywhere, anymore, bite the bullet and rebuild your machine. Then some might be able to help you with your “little x’es”

My little x’s are fine, but it took me weeks to get it all going. I’ve been using TrixboxCE for about three years with half a dozen 7940s and a 7970. It works fine, but I DO agree that it’s time to move on. The reason I chose 7940s is because I had been using one at work for a few years before I retired. Can someone suggest some reasonably priced replacements?

tech_drummer

Did you ever figure this out? im having the same problem. The phone get configured fine but i have a red dot next to each phone, telling me its not active or unreachable i guess.

I have tftp running because the phones have an extension and assigned display name.

tech_drummer, I was just able to solve my problem by doing what denisredfern said above. Go to the FreePBX settings for the extension you are trying to connect. Set “nat” to “No - RFC3581”. As soon as I did that and reloaded the config files, the x went away and I am now able to make and receive calls.