Changing default voicemail message

Ok firstly sorry if i am asking something that is obvious … because to me it isn’t. I have Googled around for a solution but have not been able to find one.

Issue is this:
When i create a extension, say for arguments sake Ex 1012, then enable voicemail on it, i get the standard voicemail message which is a computer saying “You have called extension 1 0 1 2. Please leave a message”

I instead have an alternative recording i want played. How do i go about replacing the default voicemail greeting to my customised one?

OK so i am getting my head around this now slowly. I learnt about the asterisk -r command, and was able to produce the following snippet for you:

-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'vm-theperson.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'digits/1.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'digits/2.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'digits/3.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'digits/4.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'digits/5.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'digits/6.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'vm-isunavail.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'vm-intro.gsm' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/GoIP1-0000000e> Playing 'beep.gsm' (language 'en')

This is the answering sequence when the VoiceMail picks up the call. I want to change this sequence, and make it only play one standard MP3 which i have, then plays a beep at the end.

Can anyone help me please?

Ok…you don’t want to use the standard VM setup, but have a standard message that is played for anybody’s voicemail?

As you see the sound you here is a concatenation of various sound files.

What you want to do is not as simple and will break other features in Asterisk.

However, this greeting is not played if a custom greeting (recorded in a specific wav format, you won’t be able to use your mp3 format) is in the users base directory of their voicemail (see /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail)

You could run a script after an amportal post (see advanced settings for script location) that checks the VM directories and deposits your customer greetings.

I’m going to assume you want a standard message played for everybody’s extension. The good news is that it’s fairly simple, the bad news is that it has to be done individually for each extension,

For each extension…

1. Create an announcement using your pre recorded message. Note: Make sure you understand the format requirements for uploaded audio.

2. Point the announcement fail over to the appropriate VM box for that extension.

3. On the extension setup page, point the Unavailable and Busy fail overs to the above created announcement.

BF

Like Skyking said, there are numerous ways to do it, the one I gave is the only way I can thing of to do it from the GUI.

BF

This is very confusing. So with a combination of your advice and further googling, i am able to confirm the following:

1. If i record unavailable message using *97 through phone, i see two files being saved in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/2413/ unavail.wav and unavail.WAV.

So i go and call my extension, let it ring out, and it works.

So my next step was to make another unavail.wav file, and save it in the location. I did that using u-law 8kzh 16 bit mono.

U upload the file, and copy it to /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/2413/, but it still doesn’t work. All i hear is only half of the pre-original message come up, basically it doesnt say my extension, but all the message after that.

I tried saving the file to unavail.wav and unavail.WAV and still no luck.

Also i went into the user/extension menu, and when i scroll down i see no pull down options to setup unavailable, busy etc.

Thanks guys so much for your help. I also found these set of cool instructions which mirror yours … this is after hours of googling: http://geekology.co.za/article/2009/10/how-to-set-up-custom-voicemail-greetings-in-asterisk

Mind you i think my issue was with the way i recorded the WAV file. Whatever it was it was something fidgety, because after the third attempt it work.

Thanks again all!

Actually i think i know what may have fixed it. I removed the copies of unavail and busy that have a .WAV, and only put the .wav in place. As mentioned before, for some reason when you record a message through the phone, it leave two copies of the file, busy.WAV and busy.wav

FreePBX has a GUI? Wow learn something every day.

1 Like