Change default FreePBX voice prompts with custom recordings/language pack?

Has anybody been able to completely replace all the default system voice prompts/recordings with custom ones or just add a new custom language pack with your own recordings? If so how’d you do it. I would like to experiment creating my own recordings for every prompt in the system so every menu with a voice prompt is custom, just to have a little uniqueness to my PBX instead of the generic default Allison Smith voice that every single other PBX out there uses.

We did it on select recordings, like the numbers (we wanted to speak them faster). We just replaced the recording with a new file with the same name. Worked and didn’t need to worry about disrupting what was already in place. You could do this with all recordings, but I would find some systematic way to do it so you don’t have to do it manually.

The English text of the 1981 files are in these two files

wc /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/*.txt
565  3904 27942 /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/core-sounds-en.txt 
1416  7189 53532 /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/extra-sounds-en.txt
1981 11093 81474 total

You should start with ‘.wav’ format (16-bit Signed Integer PCM), and they need to be owned by asterisk.

You could easily script the generation of your new files through any TTS engine you like.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.