Chan_sip is depleted in Asterisk

I’m running freepbx v14. I’m afraid to upgrade Asterrisk worried my phones become failed to register on server. Is freepbx v14 will ever stop supporting the chan_sip potocol?

chan_sip is not a protocol. It is one of two channel drivers that support the SIP protocol.

The use of chan_sip is already strongly discouraged in favour of chan_pjsip, and chan_sip has to be actively enabled if installing Asterisk from scratch. chan_sip is expected to be removed from Asterisk in, maybe two years from now, once the remaining things that only chan_sip can do have been addressed.

I have several servers running on v14 for a few years. It’ll take some effort to move them to chan_pjsip. Is v14 going away along with chan_sip?

I am stuck with chan_sip since TEL uri is not supported by pjsip.

It isn’t actually supported by chan_sip either. The difference is that chan_pjsip actively rejects it, to avoid unpredictable behaviour, whereas, with chan_sip, you use it at your own risk.

My understanding is chan_sip won’t be removed completely until the edge cases are covered by chan_pjsip, although I don’t know whether TEL: URI support is actually on the list.

In practice chan_sip is already unsupported, as Sangoma don’t support it and there has been almost no recent input from the open source community.

My ITSP/fixed line provider uses Huawei IMS/Sip system which uses Tel:URI. I have used Freeswitch with it in the past and it works well like the chan_sip. Hopefully, somebody is tracking this for chan_pjsip in Asterisk.

Some of my phones are old…does the extension phones have to be a pjsip compatible? Or I just have to reconfigure them to match the port number used by the server for chan_pjsip?

SIP is SIP, provided the basic user/auth/server/port conventions are followed, most things should just work.

Chan_sip is slated for complete removal in Asterisk 21. As for the community support for chan_sip, not only has it been sparse but from what I’ve seen from the devs, the community fixes for a problem/feature add usually ends up causing regression in chan_sip.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.