CDR Reports-Call Detail Record - Search Returned 1 Calls

I did a clean install of asterisks and FreePBX following the directions on the web site
wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Installing+FreePBX+13+on+Debian+8.1

Everything seems to be working fine except for the call detail reports. When I click on search I get the following details
"Call Detail Record - Search Returned 1 Calls".

I did a mysql query on the cdr table in the database asteriskcdrdb and it appears it has all the records. I am not sure why it is not showing up in the FreePBX gui.

Any ideas?

FWIW, I experience the same thing.

Selecting the ‘Call Graph’ extra option produces graphs with the correct results, but selecting the ‘CSV file’ extra option produces a csv file with only a header line (no data).

CEL reports appear to be normal and complete.

A bug report may be needed to get an answer: http://freepbx.org/trac/newticket

Not sure if this is related at all. I use the distro and am on the latest release. I can search the CDR fine but when I click on the call for details, it is just a blank screen.

I agree with this. I did not want to file a bug if it is a configuration issue.

Facing the same issue.

I filed bug report. Maybe you can vote on it to get it fixed.
http://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-11638

Your bug report was closed as ‘Cannot Reproduce’, but the problem is fixed in today’s CDR Reports module update to version 13.0.23: http://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-11644

thanks for letting me know. i was about to give up. not sure why they closed my report and said it appears to be a support issue.

When we were in our bug conference 3 people opened and tested on 3 systems. Nobody had a failure so it got closed assuming it is a environmental or configuration issue.

Also this was marked as “Self Install Debian” which also increases the chance of something being misconfigured or not present.

Not complaining. Glad it’s fixed.