Capturing Alert_Info from VOIP provider on Inbound Routes in order to route differently?

I’m using:
AsteriskNow 1.5
Asterisk 1.6.0 (till i figure out how to upgrade to 1.6.1)
FreePBX 2.5.1.5

My VOIP provider offers “Virtual” phone numbers that get routed to a users DID on the backend (so the only DID I will have is the one initial one). The only way to have a distinction between which calls are called from which number is the Alert_Info sent for distinctive ring.

I want to be able to capture that Alert_info in my Inbound Routes, in order to route it to where ever I would like to (i.e. Maybe one number/alert_info to an IVR, another number/alert_info directly to a directory, another number/alert_info to specific ringgroup or mailbox). Is this possible? I could not find a way to do that google searching, nor through searches here. And I didn’t see a way to capture on the Free-PBX interface.

I am a linux/asterisk/IP-PBX/Free-PBX noob so I will probably need a few baby steps explained to me. I greatly appreciate any response.

you can create a context, “from-my-provider” in your trunk configuration. You can then extract the information from the ALERT_INFO header from all calls coming in from that provider, and map those to what the real virtual DID is that you would then setup in your inbound routes.

Conceptually you would be doing the same thing as in the following link:

http://freepbx.org/support/documentation/howtos/how-to-get-the-did-of-a-sip-trunk-when-the-provider-doesnt-send-it-and-

That link has several examples and not all are as ‘elegant’ as they could be, but it should set you in the right direction.

Firstly ty very much for the reply. I see the section on the SIP Trunk config page where I can type in “User Context” which I put “from-my-provider”. I read through the link you posted and am having a little trouble associating what I’m supposed to do with it.

I guess I should say that all I “know” how to manipulate so far is what is in the interface. past that I’m flying blind without a detailed step by step. I havn’t even figured out how to open or manipulate the config files in the command line interface on centOS yet.

Again, though, I do thank you for the set in the right direction.

you are going to have to get your hands dirty to do this. It’s not ‘rocket science’ by any means, but it requires that you write a little dialplan to get it to work right.

You will have to add a context to extensions_custom.conf and then configure the trunk as you were describing (probably setting type=peer even though it says user).

If you don’t feel like dealing with the learning curve, you can always go to one of the paid support options to get some help on this as it does go beyond your basic ‘configure in the GUI’ route.