Can't upgrade UCP node server (READ TOP POST!)

I did not ignore you. I replied directly to you.

As I said before you need to update your distro. You need to be on 10.13.66. Sysadmin doesn’t upgrade from 6.12 to 10.13. You have to do it manually.

6.12.65 Distro was FreePBX 12. It appears you decided to move to FreePBX 13 GUI manually and not use the Distro upgrade scripts so you are now in a non supported setup since you are using a EOL Distro version with a new GUI version.

You need to follow this wiki to get onto 10.13.66 http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/FreePBX-Distro-6.12.65

No, I did not do it manually. There was a big “upgrade to 13” item in the admin menu that happily upgraded me to 13. No where in the requirements did it say I need to do anything else. After the upgrade, modules downloaded and installed and kept upgrading normally, until today when I upgraded, thinking I was doing a good thing keeping it all up to date. When it wouldn’t install UCP Node, it no longer was working, which in turn made the UCP not work at all, which in turn caused many people to come running to my office… Luckily, the upgrade script worked or I would have been here all night doing an unscheduled wipe and reinstall of our phone system.

Excuse me if I’m a little salty. Something that I’ve been told over and over again that is “safe to do” (upgrading modules) was not safe in the least. I’ve had enough fires to put out today, I thought I would have been preventing some…

I will vouch for thecodemark’s observation - same here - the upgrade to FreePBX version 13 was included some time ago in the module admin updates. There has to my knowledge been no notification concerning a distro upgrade being required. The installation I am working on was installed last fall using the then available distro from the freepbx website. I have not received any notification that 6.12 in no longer a supported distro, and would not have known that without the problem reference din this thread occurring.

After reviewing this thread I was initially able to resolve the issue without upgrading the distro with the following cli commands:

yum upgrade nodejs
fwconsole chown
fwconsole ma upgrade framework
fwconsole ma upgradeall

Subsequently I manually upgraded to distro 10.13.66, which appears to have completed successfully (no errors after logging back into the GUI). However, the initial responses to the original problem were far from clear. Perhaps a sticky explaining the problem, the resolution, and the steps to upgrade the distro would reduce the number of times that the moderators have to repeat themselves :slight_smile:

FreePBX GUI can only ever update its own modules. A OS/Distro has to handle its own upgrades. If you review that wiki it goes back 4 plus years of every version of the Distro and how to update the Distro. The Distro includes Asterisk updates along with 500 other packages that make up your operating system including nodejs.

FreePBX GUI is only showing your FreePBX related items as has been the case for 12 years. You also need to keep your operating system and all the packages that make up that system updated.

No different then on Microsoft you can not use Office to update the OS. The OS has to do it’s own upgrades and Office has its own upgrades.

In FreePBX with the new SNG OS based on EL7 you will be able to upgrade all the OS level things from the GUI finally but for 12 years in FreePBX History you have always needed to upgrade your OS at the OS level.

Hmm. That is a good point, and I can see how you could have arrived there unexpectedly. I have edited your top post (sorry!) so people know how to upgrade, but people still need to come here to realise that.

I’m not sure what we can do about this, as we’ve never done major version upgrades automatically, but there really needs to be a way to alert people that they need an upgrade. I’ll discuss this internally and see what we can figure out.

Thanks!

1 Like

Then what is the purpose of having the Sysadmin Updates section? I’ve always upgraded the distro through that. In fact, that’s how I knew when there were upgrades to do OUTSIDE of just the modules. If you are not going to use that and force people to check a wiki page daily for updates, then you should replace all the information in that Updates section with the wiki page.

Sysadmin updates only keep you updated within the minor release. They do not handle major OS updates. You have to do that from the scripts.

As stated in the new SNG 7 ISO this all moves to a single GUI for all updates on the whole server from 1 place.

Then you really need to turn that menu item off that allows people to upgrade from 12 to 13 if they are on an incompatible distribution.

*Edit: in fact, that would have fixed this entire issue as I would have had to go out and look for why I couldn’t install 13 on my system and done the update when I could schedule it.

No as stated you can do that but then if you don’t update your OS when a module needs a new RPM you are SOL. Remember FreePBX can be installed 100 different ways and our FreePBX Distro is only 1 way. Lots of people run FreePBX on their own OS and we have no control over that.

Again in the new SNG7 this is all solved finally. I am closing this topic as its been covered at length now.

1 Like

As an update, we’ve actually backported the required nodejs RPMS to 6.5, so even if you HAVEN’T upgraded your OS (which you still should!!!), you’ll be able to install node 0.12. without needing to do the complete distro upgrade.

We’re also going to add a notification to Distro machines that are behind in major versions, so it’ll be more obvious in the future.

Sorry for the confusion!

1 Like