Can't integrate certificates right and get TLS working

Hello all,

first of all sorry for my bad english I’m not a native speaker.

I want to create a encrypted VoIP infrastructure with my FreePBX and my Yealink Phones (T54W). I’m using PJSIP.

I’ve read the wiki page about TLS and SRTP and some of the forum threads.

First I activated SRTP on the FreePBX and the phone. Works without any problems. Wireshark shows some encypted traffic when I make a call. Perfect.

Second I want to integrate SIP over TLS. I did all settings like descripted on the wiki-page but I can’t get it to work.

The asterisk log shows:
‘[2020-03-03 12:18:25] WARNING[64673] pjproject: SSL SSL_ERROR_SSL (Handshake): Level: 0 err: <336109761> len: 0 peer: 192.168.200.72:12589’

A wireshark session says ‘Encryped alert’ so I assume TLS works in general but handshake fails.

I guess I did something wrong with the certificates but I have no more ideas. I tried a serval things already.

I have a wildcard certificate for my domain (like: *.domain.tld) which a have implemented with the certificate-manager (from FreePBX) and set it to default.
In the SYS-Admin-Settings I set it for the HTTPS Sessions and it works without any problem. When I open the Web-Interface the right certificate is shown.

As mentioned at the following topic and in Yealink manual there are two sections of certificates at Yealink Phones:
Trusted Certificates and Server Certificates. But no matter what I’m upload here the TLS doesn’t work.

I tried the offical paid certificate (like: *.domain.tld)
I tried the certificate from ‘ast_tls_cert’-script as mentioned in asterisk wiki
I tried a self signed certificate from cert-manager of the FreePBX

Nothing worked - I still get TLS error.

What I already did:

• activated TLS on 0.0.0.0 with Port 5061
  • set the certificate in TLS/SSL/SRTP-Settings in PJSIP-Settings
  • tried different SSL Methods
  • configure the Yealink Phone with TLS on port 5061 with the IP-address or DNS-name
  • Restart phone
  • Restart FreePBX
  • force TLS in extention settings in FreePBX
  • newest FreePBX version
  • newest Yealkink firmware

I searched for a solution a few days now with lots of reading and trying hours but I have no more ideas. Please help me!

Thanks,
Daniel

Is your PBX on the same network as your phones – or are the phones remote to the PBX?

1 Like

Same network.

PBX has 192.168.200.70
Yealink has 192.168.200.72

I have a screenshot of the wireshark session too:

while i am sure we can probably get this to work – why can i ask – do you need to encrypt your voice traffic within your internal network?

1 Like

Not super necessary but would be very nice to have. Sure it’s internal, but there are reasons to encyrpt the traffic (RTP is already encrypted as I wrote above).

And I have some problems to get the zulu client running. There are some certificate errors as well.
So my intension was, to get TLS with the right certificates working will solve some of the problems I have with the zulu as well.

And at the end I thought it is possible in general so I want to try it.

Well lets start at the beginning then – when you go to Admin - Certificate Management - do you see your certificate?

If yes – when you click on edit – do you see the name – is it valid – do you see the policies?

Next if yes to all above – have you installed the certificate for HTTPS – under system admin – HTTPS setup –

Again if yes – when you connect to your pbx – does your browser show a lock with a secure connection – if you click on the details are they all ok and correct – does the browser throw back any security issues or exceptions when connecting via https?

1 Like

i am thinking a basic issue might be that an ssl certificate is used to protect or secure a public FQDN – you however are connecting to an internal private ip –

1 Like

I got TLS with PJSIP working with some effort. Here was my thread: I finally gave up chan_sip for chan_pjsip and it was fine

If you are using a certificate with intermediates (like Letsencrypt) then you need the full chain file, which FreePBX doesn’t seem to do. I opened a bug report on it. https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-20610?filter=-2

1 Like

Well lets start at the beginning then – when you go to Admin - Certificate Management - do you see your certificate?

Yes there is only one certificate at the moment. The Wildcard certificate for my domain that I purchased.

If yes – when you click on edit – do you see the name – is it valid – do you see the policies?

Yes I see the name which I assigned. It’s just: pbx
Yes it’s vaild (2020-04-29)
Yes there are policies like this:
Policy: 2.16.840.1.114412.1.2
CPS: https://www.digicert.com/CPS
Policy: 2.23.140.1.2.1

Next if yes to all above – have you installed the certificate for HTTPS – under system admin – HTTPS setup

yes

Again if yes – when you connect to your pbx – does your browser show a lock with a secure connection – if you click on the details are they all ok and correct – does the browser throw back any security issues or exceptions when connecting via https?

yes of course only if I connect via DNS-name like https://pbx.domain.tld and there are no security issues or something else. The certificate what is shown by the browser is my wildcard-certificate.
If I connect via IP address (of course) there are security issues because of the name of the certificate.

i am thinking a basic issue might be that an ssl certificate is used to protect or secure a public FQDN – you however are connecting to an internal private ip

that’s why I tried the FQDN in server-IP settings from the yealink. Works with UDP, doesn’t work with TLS.

ok great – sorry for the basic questions – but 1) sometimes something obvious can get overlooked and 2) not everyone on the board has the same level of technical expertise

Anyway – next step

Go to settings – sip settings – pjsip tab

under the tls setttings – you should have the following:

Certificate manger: your cert
ssl method: tlsv1_2
verify client: no
verify client: yes

also under transports tls should be yes

finally the tls port to listen on should be set – typically this is 5061

please confirm

1 Like

Are you using an actual wildcard cert? Because that’s your problem. SIP doesn’t allow for wildcards, it wants the FQDN fully defined in the cert. So a single domain or a multi-domain cert that has a SAN defined for the SIP. A cert for *.domain.com will not work in SIP.

2 Likes

Tom – i dont think that is true – i am using a comodo wildcard cert and it works fine

My existing certificate Common Name is *.MYDOMAIN.com

1 Like

And what are you using it for?

1 Like

I am using it for multiple SSL applications including sip tls

1 Like

Certificate manger: your cert

yes

ssl method: tlsv1_2

No, it’s Standard, so tlsv1_1. But I tried both before. Anyway I changed it now to tlsv1_2

No, it’s YES. Also here I tried both before. Anyway I changed it now to NO

verify client: yes

yes

also under transports tls should be yes

yes

finally the tls port to listen on should be set – typically this is 5061

yes it’s 5061

(all the actual chances didn’t get it working, same error)

Are you using an actual wildcard cert? Because that’s your problem. SIP doesn’t allow for wildcards

Ok, I didn’t know and if it’s true this should really be a problem. But on the other hand I tried a generated certficate too with no success. At the end I don’t care which certificate I’m using if it’s working.

Sorry – i made a mistake above

Verify Client should be No
Verify Server should be Yes

so:

Your cert
tlsv1_2
verify server: yes
tls transport: yes
port: 5061

Next step – extension settings

Go to an extension and set the following items:

transport: tls (auto may work – but explicitly setting this is probably a better idea)
max contacts: 2 (not really necessary – but good to leave some room here just in case)
media used received transport: no
rtp symmetric: yes
rewrite contact: yes
force rport: yes
media encryption: srtp

once those are all set – please download https://www.microsip.org/ and install that

then try and connect to the extension using the FQDN and strp and sip tls turned on

let us know if that connects

1 Like

so:
Your cert
tlsv1_2
verify server: yes
tls transport: yes
port: 5061

yes it is.

transport: tls (auto may work – but explicitly setting this is probably a better idea)
max contacts: 2 (not really necessary – but good to leave some room here just in case)
media used received transport: no
rtp symmetric: yes
rewrite contact: yes
force rport: yes
media encryption: srtp

yes it is. (max contacts is 5 but that shouldn’t be a problem)

then try and connect to the extension using the FQDN and strp and sip tls turned on

TLS doesn’t work, services unavailable. UDP & SRTP works, device is online.

After you enable/disable a transport, asterisk needs to be restarted , not just reloaded.

have you tried that since we made our changes?

1 Like

I have a client with a wildcard cert with zero issues on a FreePBX 15 install right now.

1 Like

Then there must have been updates to RFCs that I just haven’t seen.

1 Like