Call Recording Inbound Calls With Ring Groups

I enabled call recording for some extensions. This is required by the government. I have setup the following to Always in the recording settings on each of the extensions.
Inbound External Calls
Outbound External Calls
Inbound Internal Calls

This almost does the trick. Most all phone calls are recorded as expected and stored in /var/spool/asterisk/monitor.

However our main incoming line is setup to ring a ring group. If an extension that is setup to record answers then the call doesn’t get recorded. If the extension setup to record dials out the call is recorded. If someone else answers the incoming call and transfers the user to the extension that is getting recorded the call is recorded. So it looks like this has something to do with the ring group and extension recognition.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did some further digging and found this (http://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-6678). Looks like this is the expected behavior. Seems weird that the setting needs to be placed in the ring group for recording. This is rather bothersome as the ring group gets answered by many people and recording all these calls could lead to a lot of overhead. I guess this is my only option for now however.

Another thing to note. After some testing it looks like if a call comes into the ring group and is answered by a phone without the call recording, then that call is transferred via blind transfer to an extension with call recording the call is not recorded. If the call is transferred via assisted transfer the call is recorded, I’m guessing because the Inbound Internal Calls is set to always record. This really needs to record no matter what the transfer method, using blind transfer is preferred as the caller id of the external caller will go with the transfer and not with an assisted.

If I set ‘Record all calls’ on an extension I expect that to be the case. No exceptions.

I’ve now been hit with this and nowhere is it obvious that this is going to be the case.
I’m only posting because I’m mad.

Try passing the call through the “Call Recording” module before sending to the ring group. According to the module:

“Call Recordings provide the ability to force a call to be recorded or not recorded based on a call flow and override all other recording settings. If a call is to be recorded, it can start immediately which will incorporate any announcements, hold music, etc. prior to being answered, or it can have recording start at the time that call is answered.”