Call Recording Encryption

Hello,

I want to know whetehr frePBX is able or has feature to encrypt the call recording files that stor under /var/spool/asterisk/monitor.

Thank you.

You can run a “post recording” command to do almost anything to the recordings. You can move them, transcode them, or email them (or almost anything else) once the recordings are complete.

Hi Dave,

Do you mind to let me know the command (or just post recording)? Does the command manually run or able to set auto run?

Thank you.

It’s not that hard to setup. Google “FreePBX Post Recording Script” Or search in the community, there’s bunch of related posts.

If you get stuck, come back here.

Much luck.

Hi PitzKey,

Sorry just reply. Thank you.

1 Like

Depending on the exact security requirements, this may not be safe as it fails towards leaving an unencrypted recording. Slightly better would be to make the monitor directory RAM disk, so that it was lost on a power failure.

What about those that need recordings stored for historical needs? Leaving them in the RAM means the recordings could be removed before the desired time frame of storing them.

On top of that this would break all the GUI interfaces that allow call recordings to be played back in the admin GUI (CDRs, call recordings reporting, etc). It would require that the files be decrypted for playback which means the decryption key would need to be on the server with the files.

I meant only until you had created an encrypted copy. The problem with using disk is that a failure between recording and encryption leaves a clear text copy. Also, unless you actively overwrite the clear text file, after encrypting it, it will still be recoverable from the disk.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.