Call notification to the desktop - how does it actually work?

First, let me say that I know there are lots of commercial and open-source products that do this, but so far, I’ve been unable to figure out how it actually works beyond the very basic side. This is entirely for my own education and experience.

I know I need to create an administrator with at least “Read” access to the “Call” section in Asterisk Manager. I also know that the client uses that username/password for AMI access by connecting via telnet to AMI on port 5038 (which has to be allowed). Obviously, I know that you need to specify in some way what extension(s) you’re monitoring. From there, though, I’m drawing blanks.

How do you monitor the events? I’m guessing I need to somehow monitor the AgentCalled event, but I’ve yet to work out how to do that. Is that the correct event? Is there a way to filter it at the freepbx side, or does the client side actually receive all AgentCalled events and only display the ones for the extension(s) that are selected?

Am I right so far? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I feel like I’m missing something obvious, but I’ve been unable to tie things together from the documentation so far. Any help is very much appreciated.

Google asterisk AMI and read up on the docs on the asterisk wiki.

1 Like

I’ve been googling all about AMI for 3 days now. That, and many other searches later, is how I’ve gotten this far. The Asterisk wiki is not exactly replete with examples. That is why I came to this forum to ask for guidance.

A nudge in the right direction, or even a validation or refutation of the information I’ve already provided would be very welcome. A response of, essentially, RTFM or “Google it” is not helpful.

1 Like

Start with:-

https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+manager+Examples

Choose your language , RTFM as @tonyclewis said , you should be as you suggest be filtering on AgentCalled if that is what you need but with these bits of info the world is your oyster.

Thank you. Just narrowing it down for sure to AgentCalled was helpful. The bash script on the site you listed is a good starting point.

If you are a bash guy, then I suggest you also look at the perl solutions, they are a little more generic.

1 Like