Our blacklist isn’t working the way I know it should. I’m sure I set something up wrong, but I can’t figure out what.
We get caller ID, so the blacklist should work just fine in theory. When testing by blacklisting my own number, the call rings on the cell phone for a while (longer than normal) and then eventually makes it through Asterisk to the extensions on the ring group. The weird part is that when my number is not blacklisted, my caller id shows up on the extensions; when it is blacklisted, Asterisk seems to strip the caller id and then lets it through instead of dropping the call. I’ve also set it to block unknown numbers, but that also isn’t working.
Let me know what I can provide to help solve the problem.