Backup/Restore upgrade method from FreePBX 13 to 15

Hello,

I’m currently running FreePBX 13.X and would like to upgrade. From what I’m reading, the easiest upgrade path would be to setup a fresh 15 box and do the “backup and restore” method that now appears to be supported in 15

I’ve setup a test server and already attempted a restore. Should I choose just the restore option or do I need to select the restore & legacy CDR option? What is the difference?

Also, I only use one commercial module which is the endpoint manager. Will that carry over or do I have to do something with that?

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Assuming you have it backed up correctly, it will bring in the settings on the restore. You will not be able to access EPM until you release the license from the existing system and apply it to the new systems.

Restoring the CDR history is up to you. Do you need it?

You may want to restore from the command line, It seems to have better messaging IMO.

fwconsole backup --restore /path/to/your/backup.tar.gz

Thanks Jared,
I first ran the restore from the GUI and fwconsole with the same results. It was chugging away, occasionally skipping some tables that were empty, but ended with the following errors:

PHP Fatal Error: Call to undefined function \FreePBX\modules\endpoint_write_ext() in /var/www/html/admin/modules/endpoint/Endpoint.class.php on line 369

Whoops\Exception\ErrorException: Call to undefined function FreePBX\modules\endpoint_write_ext() in file /var/www/html/admin/modules/endpoint/Endpoint.class.php on line 369

Stack Trace:
1. Whoops\Exception\ErrorException->() /var/www/html/admin/modules/endpoint/Endpoint.class.php:369

Are you sure EPM is current and eligible for upgrades on the existing system?
Are you sure EPM is installed on the new system?

EndPoint Manager is valid on the existing system but I did not install it on the test one.
But I think I found the fix…there was another post with the exact same problem and it turns out you must activate the new install first for it to work.

Is it ok to activate a test install? Ultimately I will be installing a new fresh production VM

Thanks

The system must be activated, according to the docs. I’ve honestly never tried on a system that was not activated.

But the more important thing is that EPM must be installed if you want it to actually restore the EPM data.

Note A, activated != licensed for commercial modules.
Note B, installed != licensed for commercial modules.

You setup FreePBX and activate it with a new Deployment ID. Otherwise your existing system will no longer have access to any of the commercial modules.

Once you restore, you can test anything that is not part of a commercial module.

Then you deactivate the both systems and then apply the now released activation ID with the commercial licenses to the new system.

Then go into the Sangoma Portal and delete the unused activation just for clean up purposes.

Ok I understand now.
Is there a limit on how many times you can de-activate/activate it? So I’m thinking, if I de-activate my old one and use that activation code for the new one and it’s not working properly, to go back to the old one until I work out the bugs.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.