I have a newish freepbx 15 installed. All of a sudden when I goto the Asterisk Log Files it seems to jump around on the screen but never load any data. As you can see the search bar is moving down the screen
I tried to reboot the server but that didn’t help anything. When I try to goto the log from a different computer it doesn’t jump around(like its trying to reload the page) but instead just gives me a blank log
I bet this is the same bug which has impacted all my FreePBX servers. They updated themselves last weekend and stopped logging immediately afterward. The /var/log/asterisk/full log file is not being populated. It appears the update turned off all logging.