Are "call groups" ways to limit who can call who?

Thanks for the explanation! This is not what I would call a multi-tenant situation. I guess there are so many different situations out there, naturally people will come with requirements like these. Often it’s when you have a single owner that commissions the PBX and then multiple groups using it, such as guests or renters. But in my case, it’s a single organization, but quite simply the way they work, one person is responsible for bridging everything between two quite separate teams.

It’s also a small set up, total is less than 15 extensions, and my requirements are not for actual “security”. I don’t mind if some clever tech guy finds ways to circumvent the separation (like transfers or call parking), I just need to keep basic users, doing basic usage, within the rules.

Well then, back to the technical discussion - the Class of Service seems like overkill for such a simple requirement. I would like to avoid diving into the bowels of the software (custom dialplan), but will do so if necessary.

I guess we’re talking about something like this: Restrict incoming and internal calls to certain extensions - #4 by oxon88

Question: to make the custom dialplan generic, is there a way to reference the call group that the extension is configured for, inside that custom dialplan, so that string can be used for the condition?