Analog phone plugged into Sangoma FXS port not connecting

I have an onboard Sangoma card with 2 FXO and 2 FXS ports. I created a DAHDI extension and chose channel 1 in advanced settings but when I plug it in to channel one I can’t call out or dial VM. It doesn’t seem to connect. Any ideas?

service dahdi status shows below:

1 FXS FXOLS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
2 FXS FXOLS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
3 FXO FXSKS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE) RED
4 FXO FXSKS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE) RED

They seem to be configured for loop start, but they probably need to be set up as kewl start.

I changed it to Kewl in the GUI and still no response.

1 FXS FXOKS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
2 FXS FXOKS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
3 FXO FXSKS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE) RED
4 FXO FXSKS (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE) RED

Chan Extension Context Language MOH Interpret Blocked In Service Description
pseudo default default Yes
1 from-analog en default Yes
2 from-analog en default Yes
3 from-analog en default Yes
4 from-analog en default Yes

Have you double-checked the card installation? Is the module correctly settled on the card? Have you connected a Molex connector from the psu to the card?

Good question. I assumed that since I’m getting lights on the ports and the card is being seen at the root level I’m good to go. I’ve not made any molex connection just the PCIe riser card plugin

The power connection is intended for the card to be able to generate ringing voltage. You should try connecting it. Also check if the fxs port is on its own DAHDI group, so it is not working in a hunting fashion.

1 Like

Did you restart DAHDi and Asterisk after you changed it to Kewl?

I did restart asterisk/dahdi after making the change.

FXO ports are for connecting to your telco, so they should have “context” associated. Your FXS ports should be connected to phones and shouldn’t need context. If they do have a context, it should be “from-internal”.

The additional power connector isn’t just for ring voltage - it also powers the phone on the circuit, so the aux power MUST be connected.

The fact that they’re recognized as “IN USE” is good - that means the DAHDI driver is recognizing them. At this point, the Asterisk Configuration is probably not set up correctly. To test, hook one of port 3 or 4 to a telco line and call the DID. If you see “RINGING” on the /var/log/messages (or maybe /var/log/asterisk/full) logs, then the card is working and the Interface to Asterisk is torqued wrong.

Your FXO ports are showing “RED” which means they aren’t connected to a B+ source.

At this point in your process, the loop vs. kewl start shouldn’t make any difference. For a phone, they are pretty interchangeable. Your setting of kewl start is good and should remain, but loop start will recognize a phone just as easily as kewl start in all but a few cases.

1 Like

I haven’t tested the FXO ports yet so there is nothing plugged in there. It seems the additional power connector is vital for the FXS ports and not for the FXO ports. This was the first on-board fxs ports I have used the sangoma card for. I typically use their PRI and FXO cards. Thank you for your help. I will attempt to put in the power connector and test.

The power connector is just for the FXS porte to generate the needed ring voltage. FXO ports don’t need to generate any tones so no power is needed.

The B+ on the FXS is there to power the phone (if it needs it), so no, the power cord is not optional. If the phone has anything that even closely resembles a light, the power is required.

The FXO does not require any power, but good luck getting the card to work without it. I’ve been using these cards, and cards like them, for years and I’ve never had one work right without the AUX power connected. You can fight me on this all you want - my experience and the manufacturers’ instructions both indicate that the extra power is required.

1 Like

Certainly not my intent to fight. I apologize for giving that idea! I appreciate your comments. Learned a good lesson with this install

I was not trying to fight either. I was only speaking from my experience. Not that I have much of it, but on 4 ports Digium cards, as long as any of them is an FXS you need power, if all of them are FXO, then you don’t, again that is only my experience. On Sangoma, I never used FXS ports, only FXO ports and I didn’t connect the power to them. On the fixed ports model, the b600, it was 4 fxo and only 1 fxs, it doesn’t even have a power connector. But you can think of it as a rule, if fxs, connect power, if fxo should not need to, but YMMV.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.