After adding an extension I can no longer access the site

Yes, but it would nice to know what’s wrong with this distro, which of course was created from the official ISO.

It’s NOT a Distro, it is an image provided gratis by someone who seriously knows what he is doing and absolutely certainly was not “created from any official ISO” , either bitch to him directly, or just fess up $10 and stop whining , if that fails you, start another thread.

You lost me. How does one create an image without using the ISO supplied by Sangoma?

Simple, provide an appropriate PHP environment, a compatible mysql server, and a web server on any linux environment you are comfortable with, This often called a LAMP stack.

git clone Asterisk, build and install it, and then git clone FreePBX , and install it.

That’s all you basically need , add firewall rules, IDS as appropriate, configure secure TLS certs and a well configured https frontend, and I would suggest a good set of systemd services and you are good to go.

OK , maybe not so simple, most folks are happy with a Distro, there are other than the Sangoma one though.

Will I be able to install commercial modules?

Only if you constrain yourself to the Sangoma Distro which only works on some hardware with their specific (albeit deprecated) OS.

Catch 22 Yosarian

Do you have the URLs for the repositories?

Of course but I feel that that would not help you as it takes a little more than cutting and pasteing and I can’t/won’t help you with that project, There are however snippets in the Wiki if you are hell bent.

please just use “the Distro” for now, it works for most everybody not using raspberries or wanting ‘a little more’

I do not think the issue here is the hosting nor the source of the installation.

(BTW, the DO Marketplace FreePBX is a Distro that has been transplanted to DigitalOcean. Just because DO doesn’t let you install from a CD ISO image doesn’t mean Distro can’t be installed there. I don’t think I’m allowed to call it “Genuine” Distro per terms but it’s about as real as it gets.)

The issue is strictly the firewall. Other things are working. Just turn off the firewall and get a phone or two registered and make some calls and see some success. Then go and carefully configure the firewall module. If you lock yourself out, reboot and try again. Don’t forget you also have console access with DigitalOcean so you can keep a console up while you are tweaking the firewall. If you block yourself, from the console logged in as root, type fwconsole firewall disable.

1 Like

Thanks Bill. Recovery console access does not work on an Android phone. I had to wait until I could get to my laptop and then start the recovery console and then I was able to fix the firewall. The behavior was not as I have seen before because I have never had it freeze up like this after a reboot.

Last year I created an image on virtualbox and was able to upload that to aws. For some reason that stopped working so I decided to move over to digital ocean with your distribution

I normally don’t toot our own horn over here but we are a Sangoma Software Partner who does, in fact, provide a “true-to-distro” build of FreePBX on AWS, complete with Commercial Module support with Sangoma. Sure, we charge for that image…because we invest a lot of time and effort in maintaining the FreePBX ecosystem on AWS and we give you one-on-one technical support at no extra charge. :man_shrugging:

I suppose my point is, whether it’s @billsimon 's professionally-built image on DigitalOcean or our commercially-supported image on AWS, there are definitely options out there that don’t involve the hassle of uploading your own local-built or ISO, while still allowing you complete control over your servers in a stable environment. Of course, such with much of life, you get what you pay for…whether that’s in terms of the quality/stability/features/pricing metrics of the cloud platform you use, or what you pay for the software you run on it…cutting costs usually means adding to your manual workload and/or cutting corners. If you are trying to employ a business system (you wanna make money), cutting corners on critical infrastructure is likely a bad idea when you’d rather be spending your time building the business instead of fixing your phones all the time.

Moral of the story: Don’t reinvent the wheel unless reinventing wheels is your area of expertise. haha

Well some might call this spam, I consider it useful information. I have managed to solve my problem with Bill’s distribution. It was a firewall problem, but it was exhibiting some strange behavior because anytime I logged in after rebooting it would just freeze. The way I solved it was to go to my laptop and use the digital ocean recovery console

1 Like

By the way, I had considered using a commercial distribution on awx but it was really out of my price range for the moment I’m on a very tight budget just living on Social Security in Cambodia.

1 Like

Thanks any and I do appreciate all your help.

I have been installing and developing software on mainframes and Unix since the 1970s. I am capable of doing more than cutting and pasting.

then for android install termux (from fdroid) and carry on doing it while in the 21st century. you will need ‘hackers keyboard’ from the playstore also.

Is Termux an ssh client? I have Terminus installed. It works fine after I fix the firewall problem

termux is debian ported to android,

apt install ssh 

gets you a client and a server.

Since you’re tooting, what is a Software Partner? I don’t see this designation used or defined anywhere else. Simon Telephonics is a partner as defined at Partners - Sangoma Technologies, so to be clear, we will (also) offer professional, quality support for FreePBX and PBXact (among other VoIP things) especially on the VM images we publish. I regret that I wasn’t able to help @Vietyank in a more timely manner but frankly the DO image is free and the support response time is set accordingly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree. Alternatives abound. @TheWebMachine has been offering an AWS solution for a long time and is well worth considering.

1 Like

Sorry Bill! I didn’t know you released and support it under your company. Same Partner program…I just sometimes forget the naming of it has evolved over the years. (Remember when we used to sign Partner agreements carved into stone tablets and had to walk uphill to school both ways!? :rofl:)

1 Like