Accessing phones on a different network same building

Ok so I have all my phones in my office set to VLAN 110 and all our computers are on a .55 network, if we turn the VLAN off on the phones they get a 55 address as well instead of a 110. How would I be able to access the phones that have a 110 address on a computer that is using 55 network without having to turn the VLAN off everytime.

Thanks

You need to configure your router or firewall to be aware of both networks and be able to direct traffic back and forth between them. Using VLANs you have essentially created two physical networks, each using their own IP subnet. Your router should have one interface for each VLAN (doesn’t have to be physical interface, could be virtual if you are using VLAN trunking on the port connected to the router). You then need to have firewall/routing setup to allow access from one subnet to the other. This is basic IP networking, which you really need to understand in order to use VLANs.

You can also have a physical interface from the server into each VLAN. You would program two untagged switch ports with the VLAN (PVID, switchport access or whatever term your vendor uses) ID of 1 ports set to the voice vlan and the other set to the data.

That way the server would have a connected interface in each LAN

Make sure you only have a gateway in the data lan.

As Jolouis pointed out, this is networking 101.

You can of course add the tagged vlan to your FreePBX ethN and route the networks locally if necessary without relying on external vlan “fabric”, you might well not need to route, just have asterisk listen on the newly created vlan also . . .

(
yum install vconfig

man vconfig

vconfig add ethN Y

ip addr add 10.10.10.1/24 dev ethN.Y

where X is your ethX device and Y is less than 4096

)

Just to add to dicko’s comment, the original post asks how to allow a PC on a VLAN to access the phone that exists on a different one. As pointed out, it’s quite possible to let the FreePBX machine have two interfaces (one for the PC VLAN, and one for the phone VLAN), and thus be able to access both but…

For completeness sake, you are still routing… you’re just using the Linux machine that is running FreePBX to do it. The other major point to note here is that in this case your PCs will still most likely NOT be able to access the phones because only the FreePBX machine will be aware of the routes. You would need to configure the PCs to either statically route to the FreePBX machine, or use it as their default gateway.

As mentioned previously, this is still basic network routing stuff and it is very important that you understand the concepts of what you’re trying to do. I would suggest doing some googling for IP routing and how gateways/subnets work if you are not familiar with this stuff… the forums tend to get very quiet if you start asking things like “how does routing help?”, as that’s an assumed knowledge at this level of the game. If you’re really not comfortable it’s usually best to contact a consultant or someone with expertise to take care of things for you.