Accessing a H.264 (Surveillance-)Camera Stream

Hello,

is it possible with FreePBX to dial a specific extension number to access a H.264 videostream from a camera? For example, I dial 2000, a connection to FreePBX is established and I can see the videostram from a H.264 camera which does not belong to a phone, but is a surveillance camera attached to the network.

Can this be handled somehow?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

push

Is the camera a SIP endpoint?

No, it is not a SIP endpoint. Is it possible to have some kind of “Virtual Endpoint” which accesses a call and streams the video?

Hi @thn80,

You can write a small dialplan that will trigger a URL command to open a video stream, but where do you want to watch the video stream? Furthermore, you will need to verify that your DVR/NVR system, supports accepting remote URL commands to send a video stream (ONVIF protocol for example).

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

@danielf it would be nice if I could call this virtual extension and then I receive the video stram on my phone (Smartphone app or hardware phone with video). Meaning: The virtual extension acts like a real user which shares his/her videostream with me.

Hi @thn80,

Think of your video stream as a separated server, that you need to know how to receive a video stream from it. Usually, you need to connect to your DVR/NVR system to a specific URL in a case that this is not an IP camera. For example: If your device supports RTSP protocol, you can use a VLC player to receive a network stream from your device. So, I am guessing that you want to dial to a phone number to your PBX that would trigger somehow a URL that will get you the desired camera stream. It really depends on your DVR/NVR system. Please share more technical details on your video streaming system.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.