0 Day FreePBX Exploit?

On the OP topic

I mean, I’ve been complaining/speaking out about the coding standards since pre-2019. So you’re saying they’ve existed all this time and no one has ever enforced them? Because having a full time Sangoma QA Team was something flexed about in 2017/2018 because it didn’t exist before.

This now makes me wonder how long this project has had policies and procedures in place that have been ignored and not enforced at any level of the hierarchy.

speaking of, that post links to a wiki article that says little, but links to this bug report that has apparently been hidden.

https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-23176

Why post such a report then? Just make it a FREEI that none of us can ever see anyway as it was a commercial module vulnerability anyway.

This was the bug ticket I filed, which had to be a “FREEPBX”

1 Like

James came up with those standards and wrote them into the wiki before we were able to have a devcon again together to discuss. They were never discussed at length but they do exist in the wiki yes.

Freepbx itself was created in the php 4.x era of time. Well before php itself had standardization. Or PSRs or even static analysis tools. The php of today is vastly different from the php when freepbx started. Or even the php of 2009 when I found and started contributing to freepbx. There were no standards then from the people running freepbx.

No standards were enforced throughout my time at Sangoma (either from me or others). Should they have been. Yes definitely. But they weren’t.

I assumed.

My point was why even post that in the wiki if it is not going to be public.

Some effort needs to be done to sanitize things before the ticket can be opened to public.

2 Likes

Those are fair points. Which always has gone to my point that sometimes you have to go back and readdress things with the changing landscape. Which can mean a re-write, not kludges to get around rewrites. The Backup/Restore module is the poster child for this.

It got so bad and unmanageable with all the kludges and hacks stack on it to quickly fix the existing problem with no larger view of issues it can cause.

Just like back in Feb. of the year when O had all sorts of issues with Advanced Recovery and no one could figure out why. Then core was updated and boom, problem fixed. So a change was made to core that broken dependent modules. Proper testing would have caught that. Not a random update that fixed problems no one knew was related.

Going a little off topic here.

@billsimon, do you mind sharing how you discovered this vulnerability?

Thanks

This was early on the train of finding things out, but this does not mesh with the final report in the wiki.

What is the correct answer?

1 Like

Wiki was inaccurate, I’ve edited to fix. Thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Hey Jared,

Great question. Still working on getting all the documentation right.

I think that was Lorne’s first cut at it, probably using a boilerplate template from a previous exploit. Impacted versions are the ones I previously posted:

We’ll update the wiki to not include that language.

Matt

1 Like

His original post mentioned an alert that his passwd file was being altered by something. He has monitoring setup on his systems

4 Likes

The versions affected seems to be wider than what is currently listed.

I am running version 13 right now and I am under attack… Still trying to mitigate the issue and see what then are trying to do with my system. I have HIGH cpu usage, disk filled with error logs, lots of sed processes running dumping stuff. Not sure if it’s a DOS attempt or trying to collect info or…

You have an unrelated issue, which you’re free to open a new thread to explore but I would recommend updating to a supportable version first.

edit - you may be seeing this Sangoma Documentation

but again, does not belong in this thread.

1 Like

I am surprised my issue is unrelated, but you are probably right…

Attack was trigguered using rest-app (lots of hits in the httpd log and we don’t even use this), I see freepbx_ha in the process starting all these processes, attack started during the night, etc.

Might be a coincidence…

Well this is a regression from something from a couple years back when 13 was still being updated. So either you never fixed it or something else happened. This isn’t a new thing, it’s an old thing that was fixed and go broken again. This time though, 13 isn’t being updated anymore so the new breakage doesn’t impact it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.