The official end of Trixbox CE

I just ran the shell script to upgrade Trixbox CE 2.8.0.4 to FreePBX 2.10. All worked well except I too now get

Index of /recordings

Name Last modified Size Description
Parent Directory -
locale/ 30-Nov-2012 17:49 -
modules/ 30-Nov-2012 17:49 -
theme/ 30-Nov-2012 17:49 -

when i try to access the User Control Panel (ARI)

Any help her would be appreciated.

You just have to ignore all the errors and wait for it to tell you to NOT REBOOT, and then reboot. Some strangeness with things going to directory listings that we will work out, probably by paying for support, just to say thanks if nothing else.
Glad to be shot of Fonality. I would have upgraded to a pay version if it wasn’t’ “hybrid”. I want to use my own trunks,integrate with my own CRM, etc. etc.

One thing we found was that voicemail was disabled on all extensions and needed to be manually reenabled, and a password set. Once that was done, the messages were still there.
This has to be done for all the “follow me” settings you use to forward the extensions of departed employees to other users VM as well.

I just ran one of these and everything seems tickety-boo except that voicemail ended up disabled for each extension. I enabled them all and entered passwords + email addresses. The old voicemails showed up just fine from that point on.

That does not make sense why voicemail would be disabled at voicemail.conf is just a static file and FreePBX GUI writes right to the file. So voicemail.conf should still be there.

I did another one of these without checking the Trixbox version first - it may have been 2.6 but things went a little haywire. The SQL database password ended up with a mismatch and I couldn’t browse to the home page - it came up as if there was no index.html. I could browse to 192.168.X.X/admin but had to manually enter a user in the mysql database to login. Once logged in I got the green trixbox admin page (minus the “extra” trixbox header) It looked like the script failed on all the “admin_module” commands it ran. I also saw a ton of timezone errors but I think they were irrelevant.

Anyway, I fumbled around for a while then ran a “yum remove asterisk” and re-installed asterisk 1.8.17 from source. I then modified the upgrade script to skip the check for trixbox and ran it again, voila - all seemed to work. Oh yeah, I had done a “yum remove memcached” at one point too.

I think I’m still seeing a few error that have to do with that “amportal a ad” command, sudo something or other.

I can confirm after running the upgrade, voicemail.conf gets over written by a version of the file that just contains.

[general]
#include vm_general.inc
#include vm_email.inc
[default]

The old file is no where to be found, at least in /etc. Restoring the old file works fine, just at some point in the process the original file was trampled by this template.

Hmm, I guess it’s time to move on. Currently have a Trixbox 2.6 system. I was wishing there was a way to export my settings and import them on a new installation.

Can’t believe people are still using Trix and talking about it. It still has all the well known vulnerabilities that hackers are constantly scanning for and can pop open in minutes. Lots of bugs that were never fixed etc.

No one likes change but a wet baby. And if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. I understand why people are reluctant to change, especially when it’s such a big change as moving to FreePBX from Trixbox. HOWEVER, as one that has done it, I can say that it’s worth doing. I love FreePBX. It’s so much better than Trixbox was, but of course it still means change. And change takes effort.

We are in the process of moving from Trixbox (Pro) to FreePBX (PIAF),
my biggest gripe is finding a replacement for HUD / HUD-lite.

Hard to believe it was this many years ago when HUD came out and I can find only one replacement (isymphony) that even comes close to HUD

What are you using for call management, etc?

FOP2 and iSymphony are your only real options. iSymphony V3 which is a complete re-write from the ground up is due out in the next few months and is really slick

Is there a “shortcut” method for installing FOP2 on FreePBX?

I don’t understand what you mean shortcut? FreePBX is web GUI, FOP2 is stand alone application.

If you are using the FreePBX distro then FOP2 is in the repository and you can install it with yum “yum install fop2-fpbx.i386”

If you are using a different distribution the instructions at fop2.com are straight forward.

Does iSymphony work with newer version of Java? Last time I checked it only worked with Java 6 which was a deal breaker for us.

just installed it, working with latest JRE straight from Oracle’s site

Am running FreePBX distro but I’m not aware of this method. In any case:

yum install fop2-fpbx.i386
gave
"yum install fop2-fpbx.i386
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, kmod
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Setting up Install Process
No package fop2-fpbx.i386 available.
Nothing to do"

That is what I meant by shortcut btw

I should clarify there’s no fop2 in the repository for 2.11 at all but there are several in the repository for 2.10 which I (think I) am using. but the names are different and they are all up to fop 2.10. whereas fop2 (on www.fop2.com) itself is at 2.26 now.
I realize I’m still encroaching on a topic but I wanted to clarify.
I do not have a test environment available so this would go directly to my live.

I agree with the comment that Trixbox was dead a long time ago. I’ve found a great replacement for HUD in gloCOM. Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naL7EuwNKaw

Looks like gloCOM would possibly integrate with their own PBX platform, otherwise it appears to have no direct integration with FreePBX or Asterisk, other than possibly being used as a softphone, and I know of many more refined smartphones available that will give you chat and presence as well. Please correct me if I’m wrong and expand on your integration with FreePBX and Asterisk, otherwise I can only assume you are a company shill.