md5 secret in sip.conf - ploblem with X-Lite client

I installed AsteriskNow (Asterisk+FreePBX). Then i created new user in FreePBX User Management, it wrote md5 encrypted secret in sip.conf (secret=<-my encrypted password->). Then i tried to log in in X-Lite client and i saw error “wrong password”.
Then i edited sip.conf and set not encrypted secret (secret=<-my not encrypted password->), then i successfully log in in X-Lite.
I don’t want manually edit config file, what should i do to solve this problem?

p.s. sorry for my english

Freepbx does not use encrypted passwords. It randomly generated an md5 password if you don’t set one. But that’s what the password is. It’s that md5. Nothing is encrypted. Go into freepbx and change the password/secret

I tried to do this now.
I go to Admin-User Management-User Settings and set password, then apply changes, then i see the md5 secret in sip.conf, and can’t log in in X-Lite again.

i use FreePBX 12.0.65

tried to use other sip clients - the result is the same

We dont use MD5 secrets. I think you are confusing other parts of the GUI interface for what you are looking for.

Slight problem here, FreePBX will NEVER change anything in sip.conf,

head -5 /etc/asterisk/sip.conf

what are you using to write to that file ?

[root@localhost ~]# head -5 /etc/asterisk/sip.conf
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
; Do NOT edit this file as it is auto-generated by FreePBX. All modifications to ;
; this file must be done via the web gui. There are alternative files to make ;
; custom modifications, details at: freepbx.org/configuration_files ;
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------;

[root@localhost ~]# head -5 /etc/asterisk/sip_additional.conf
; Do NOT edit this file as it is auto-generated by FreePBX. ;
; For information on adding additional paramaters to this file, please visit the ;
; FreePBX.org wiki page, or ask on IRC. This file was created by the new FreePBX ;

Sorry, i saw what FreePBX write md5 secret after adding Extension.

I found my fault: Secret in User Management and Secret in Extension - it’s a different secrets. I should set secret in Extensions to successfully log in in sip-client.

1 Like