Zulu Phone Not Ringing when Ring Group or Queue contains too many extensions

Just to give an update. I setup the following:

• Test extension - 2012, no phone attached, so it shows offline in PJSIP
  • Used Zulu Desktop and signed in with the account attached to that extension
  • Added Extension 2012 to a Ring Group that is setup for ringall
  • Called the ring group

The desktop client rang right away for me.

I then added in another extension in Zulu and had them both in the ring group. Again I called the ring group and now both Zulu clients rang right away.

If you call the extension directly I assume it rings right away on the desktop client?

Chris

I’m running Asterisk CLI 14.0.1
I believe this is the most up to date version for PBxact 40
It does seem that the updates for PBexact are delayed awhile even if you have the sangoma POMP plan, you’ll be behind on updates? it seems vs FreePBX

When I call the extension directly, it does ring right away. But even that was a little buggy a day ago, requiring me to restart to be able to call a softphone only extension.

I tried the method you listed. I removed the softphone only extension from the ring group.updated, logged into zulu with that extension. then added that extension back to ring group. then updated.
nothing.
I use FOP2 and only the extensions with phones light up.
If I hang up on the call early before 20 seconds, the call does pop up on zulu for one second. Im using Chan_sip for all extensions with and without phone. I changed one extension to pjsip to test, but nothing. I did watch that video and it was insightful.

I would upgrade to Asterisk 16.0. I changed from 13 LTS to 16 LTS about 6 months ago. I know prior to that, we really didn’t use Zulu as it didn’t work well. With the current situation, we decided to start testing it again in March 2020 and had some issues with the mobile version. However, the desktop has been pretty good so far. I’m wondering if it is now required to be on Asterisk 16.

I’m also running PBXact, a PBXact 400.

It was very easy to switch, but did require downtime, as it will restart asterisk.
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Changing+Major+Asterisk+Versions+on+the+Fly

asterisk-version-switch

Chris

I just updated asterisk 16. zulu sip calls not going to soft only extensions. Zulu will ring half way into a ring length if that extension has a physical phone. UCP has a ring delay setting, but its set low.
In UCP the phone there rings in the widget, but if i also add a zulu widget, that does not ring. why does FOP2 not show extensions that zulu is logged in under? do you use FOP2? Its a nice way to see all the lines that are connected .

Zulu uses WebRTC, so you need to make sure that is enabled in your Advanced Settings. And that you have wss enabled, etc as instructed in their Wiki and guide. Generally, you’ll see the Zulu softphone show up as 99. So in my case, I show 992012 as registered.

And no, i do not use FOP2. It may only see the SIP and may not see those WebRTC connections.

So to confirm, if you call the soft only extension directly, does the Zulu desktop client ring?

Chris

Zulu desktop extension with softphone only rings right away when you call that extension.

In advanced settings what is
Default Follow Me Ring Strategy There are options, ringallv2, ringallv2-prim, ringall
what setting should it be?
what about "Default Follow Me Ring Time "

WebRTC I read about this, kept trying to find it in settings. It does not exist. It seems that WebRTC is not installed, nor is it an option to install. I followed the instructions
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/F2/WebRTC+Phone-UCP#WebRTCPhone-UCP-Overview
There is no Module Admin to select in advance

Also advance settings do not have WEBRTC anywhere. UCP does not have webrtc.

How do i install via putty, I looked online for commands, and cannot find them for freepbx

I have one working Let’s Encrypt certificate.
is another type of certificate needed to allow the words WEBRTC to show up?
FOP2 does work with WEBRTC, but i wouldn’t know until i have it installed.

Thank you so much for your help. I’m sure another user will find this info helpful.

I read this post, but that does not at all show how to install webrtc

In my PBxact 40 system, I cannot find WebRTC anywhere in updates, modules, settings. What am I missing?

Type this on your CLI and see if it’s installed

fwconsole ma list | grep webrtc

If it’s disabled: fwconsole ma enable webrtc
If it’s not installed: fwconsole ma downloadinstall webrtc

After that go User Management > Edit an user > go to UCP tab > Then go to Phone Tab and enable it.

You should add the webrtc phone as a “Side Bar Widget”
This is what it looks like:

[root@securesip ~]# fwconsole ma list | grep webrtc
| webrtc | 14.0.3.8 | Enabled | GPLv3+ |

the word webrtc is in red, it is enabled.
I disabled it, enabled it. i installed to make sure it was up to date.
In module updates → connectivity, I see WebRTC, I dont know if it was hidden before or not.
WebRTC Phone 14.0.3.8 Stable Sangoma Technologies Corporation[GPLv3+] Enabled
I do not see WebRTC anywere in UCP settings for a user settings. what tab would it be next to, Zulu, Chat? or in the UCP settings tab, voicemail, phone. I am able to add softphones to my UCP widget for phone and zulu. but i dont see any webrtc settings.

When I call the extension, the green phone icon rings, but the zulu widget icon does nothing.

So for now, Ill use UCP phone works, I can call, rings right away, I can answer, and this is a softphone only extension, but UCP Zulu phone will not ring and zulu desktop phone no ring until a second before the timeout that is set.

with FOP2, I do see the WebRTC phone extension listed because the UCP is logged in, so calls will go to that. so for my system, WebRTC not working with zulu correctly.

I’ve reviewed the settings in the “Follow-Me List” to enter in the softphone extensions, no luck.
I toggled some other settings, and no go.
So Softphone in UCP works right away, but Zulu in UCP doesn’t ring until the last ring of the ring group.
There has to be a setting Im missing or something to check what is going on.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting this.

I’m still having this issue with extensions without a real phone connected.

WebRTC phone works in UCP as it rings right away with an inbound SIP call and shows up as an active available extension on asterisk and FOP2.

Zulu UCP or app zulu phone when logged in alone, does not show up in asterisk as an available extension, and only rings just before the call goes to fail over. Zulu softphone does allow outbound calls, and calls directly to the zulu extension works instantaneously. Any settings I can apply to make this work?

UCP phone works and rings immediately on inbound sip calls.
Zulu does not ring when logged in the same extension that has no physical phone attached.
also the Zulu widget does not ring for inbound SIP calls. Xulu only rings immediately when an extension calls it. Zulu inbound SIP call will ring just before the failover happens.
No different result if chansip or pjsip for that extension.

Any help, please. The more extensions I add to a ring group, the slower Zulu will ring. Im using ring all.
If I have under 10 extensions it rings a few seconds later. If I have more, it takes a lot more time. If I have over 15, then It will ring just before the failover.
I am watching the incoming call on FOP2.
I can’t get Zulu to ring on an extension that doesn’t have a physical phone paired to that extension when it is part of a ring group with more than 15 numbers. WebRTC fully works with UCP phone and will ring right away.
Zulu phone only rings if the incoming SIP is sent directly to that extension or a small ring group with just a few extensions.

Is it possible that this problem can’t be solved with the current software?

ringall : Ring all available channels until one answers (default)
hunt : Take turns ringing each available extension
memoryhunt : Ring first extension in the list, then ring the 1st and 2nd extension, then ring 1st 2nd and 3rd extension in the list… etc. This strategy will work only when Confirm Calls is disabled.
*-prim : These modes act as described above. However, if the primary extension (first in list) is occupied, the other extensions will not be rung. If the primary is FreePBX DND, it won’t be rung. If the primary is FreePBX CF unconditional, then all will be rung
firstavailable : ring only the first available channel. This strategy will work only when Confirm Calls is disabled.
firstnotonphone : ring only the first channel which is not offhook - ignore CW. This strategy will work only when Confirm Calls is disabled.
random : Makes a call could hop between the included extensions without a predefined priority to ensure that calls in the groups are (almost) evenly spread. Simulates a Queue when a Queue can not otherwise be used.

When there are too many extensions in the ring group, more than 5, it starts to slow down. when more than 10, cuts time in half, and when more than 15, only rings just before failover. This seems like a bug.

My extension 994037 only shows up when I log into UCP with webrtc phone.
If I only log in with zulu, then the extension does not show as on.
But zulu will ring if only a few extensions in the ring group.
i even tried to add 994037 to the ring group and 4037#, but that didnt change the ring time when there were more than 10 extensions added to a ring group, even if all extensions were softphones.

Have you tried setting up a queue instead of a ring group? I only have a queue with about 6 extensions, and the desktop zulu works great. The mobile takes a while.

Chris

I have 20 physical phones in the office. I have 20 soft phone extensions. total 40 extensions. My physical phones are polycom phones, and since dont do openvpn, i didnt give them to the staff for home usage since i didnt want to open up the firewall to each ip address.
Im not sure if a queue with all these 40 extensions would work?
FOP2 is really nice because you could see what webrtc phones are connected and give the extension people names, and all staff could see who is available to take calls, and who is on a call.
When I sign in with zulu, my extension 99407 is not seen as logged in, only when i sign in with ucp webrtc phone does it show im available.
Any reason why ring groups that have too many extensions would stop working well with zulu?
If you have an example of making queue work for all these extensions? A ring group with only 6 extensions rings great for me. only when I add more does the time for zulu to ring increase, until its saturation point where it rings only when it reaches fail over. possibly each extension adds a second to the wait time before zulu rings?

I would just setup a queue and put the same number of phones in that queue and see what happens. Essentially, I started with ring groups, but for queue reports (a paid module), it was easier, and you had more options, compared to the ring groups. Just curious if it works better, since it is different from ring groups.

I will say, there is a bug with queues with the Zulu mobile app, that if you answer the call in about 1 ring, the mobile device will ring constantly.

Chris

PBxact 15 was released, so we can upgrade now from 14. possibly there are zulu fixes with this?
do you have Queues Pro and Queue Reports modules? Does that include the queue call back?
What happens to your queue when you add 20 extensions? does it then delay the zulu ring with ring all?

i watched this zulu video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lWHmrIeV5w
All the settings are there, no help. It must be a bug with the number of extensions someone has in a ring group. Maybe Sangoma support just thinks im a Newibe that doesn’t know asterisk from a distro, which is correct, but I got it functioning well, and was able to trouble shoot the problem to zone in on the exact problem.

Correct, I do have the Call Center bundle, which includes Queues Pro and Queue reports.

What PBXact system are you running? Is there a chance you’re over taxing the CPU with all the extensions ringing at the same time? Just curious if you run htop while you ring it if it goes high?

I’ll have to see if I can find a queue with more than 10 members and see what happens with my desktop zulu. I know the Zulu mobile will be delayed.

Chris

Just to follow up on Zulu. I have the desktop version (3.5.0) running an extension that has no phone associated with it. I added this to a queue that has 16 phones. I called it and it popped up pretty much right away (ie, 1-2 secs) when my outside call rang.

I haven’t tried a ring group, but my queue with 16 extensions is operating as expected.

Chris

1 Like