I installed zulu (the 2 users free license) and downloaded the zulu client on my pc and phone.
All fine on PC side, but on the android phone I cannot send or recieve sms (works perfectly fine on the PC client)
On the Android phone I get a message on the bottom of the screen saying “This user can’t recieve messages”
For the messages I have sent using the pc I see in the mobile app all the timestamps but not the text.
Anyone can help me out here?
I’m out of ideas!
You should check below settings to have setup on your PBX.
- SSL Certificate ( you can use Lets Encrypt )
- System Admin HTTPS Setup, Allowed your SSL Certificate.
- System Admin, Port Management Activate HTTPS Ports ( GUI and UCP )
- User Manager, Groups allow for your user Zulu Access.
- Check PBX Firewall, Zulu settings to allowed Internet / Local / Other
- Try to login via HTTPS://FQDN name to your PBX.
You can check below wiki page.
All those are good. In fact I had a wildcard certificate that gave me troubles and I replaced it with lets encrypt. the certificate will cause problems at login.
all is good and I can send sms through the pc client. the mobile client however has a problem.
Good to hear you fixed your PBX SSL certificate with Let’s Encrypt.
You can check your SSL certificate with below CLI command.
openssl s_client -showcerts -connect FQDN:8002
Unfortunately Zulu Mobile Does Not supports SMS yet.
That explains why it’s not working and that was the only reason I had installed it. To be able to send sms and get rid of all my celphones besides one google fi
This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.