Yealink phones only register after reboot server

This is kind of wierd. I am coming over from using Trixbox’s and loaded a few versions of Distro and each version I have to reboot the server for the Yealink phones to register. These are out of the box T22’s.I have a few old junky grandstream GX2000 that register fine. I can turn off the phones after they have registered from the reboot and they join right back up, but I have to reboot the server for new phones when I add them. Anyone have any ideas?

add -vv to server_opts in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp and tail /var/log/messages to see who is asking for what and from where.

My other models of yealinks join fine the T26 and T28. I will try the command and see.

Occam’s Razor suggests that you seriously suspect the models that don’t.

I seriously doubt that you need to reboot the “server”, at the most restart xinetd, but that makes no sense as tftpd is running under xinet which will do that by default.
But make sure that tftpd is running as a user that has access to /tftpboot/*, for MANY reasons it should not run as root especially if you add -c to server_opts.

(I believe that many DO use root to their eventual detriment :wink: )

I am just configuring the phones manually. It is for a small office with 5 phones. It just weird it’s that model, the phone do have the lastest firmware on them.

Nothing is “weird” in linux, it is just that you need to learn how to use the tools that diagnose the “problems” you feel are there, as previously stated, look at your /var/log/messages after adding -vv to your tftpd service.

If “the latest firmware” is at fault, then there is little that anyone but the vendor can do.

I am constantly baffled as to why people upgrade firmware for the hell of it.

If you have working phone code and the new version does not have any features you need upgrading is simply inviting problems.

Remember that you are the integrator and have to do the leg work to vet out new software releases prior to putting them into production. It’s not feasible for a 5 phone install so you usually wing it.

The real problem is you have to assign some value to your time. If you are not in the phone business then time spend messing with it is time away from your core competence. In the end you still won’t achieve the results of a professional.

The economics change in large deployments but the big jobs have challenges also.

One of the reasons I know I will always have job security. This is not a hobby for me.

These T22 came with the lastest fireware on them and I don’t have an older fireware to try which I think is the issue. I have more of these phones around at other locations. I will try to grab one with older firmware and see what happens.

I ususally don’t flash the phones to the lastest firmware if the phones are working fine I really don’t see the point in it. Why break something that is not broken. When these switches go in to production they stay the same until it times to replace them. If they work fine for the users they work fine for me.

All I can do since I am sending this swithc to CA and I am in IL is I will just buy the T26 model if they need more phones. The cost is like $20 more.

I don’t do phone stuff full time at my company and most of my locations only have 4-8 phones tops. My main office has like 25 phones on a Trixbox 2.6 that has been running solid for about 2 1/2 years.

I was just wondering if other people came across the same issue and had an easy fix? I am no linux expert here, these Astrisk boxes are the only thing Linux I use. When you are a 1 IT shop with 160-200 users, 120 PC’s, 15 remote location across the country,and 20 Windows servers you can only fit so much in a days time.

Enough with the phones for now I have them working in the test enviorment and back to upgrading the company to Exchange 2010.

Thanks for all the help here.