XMPP Module

I am trying to use chat via the X-Lite Client, and my FreePBX has the XMPP module installed and enabled but it says its not currently licensed. I went to the website and they are free distros, so I am not sure if there is something to purchase or if there is another way to enable chat.

Thanks

The XMPP module is a paid module. The XMPP module is only $20.00 and helps support the FreePBX project. You could probably do all the configuration by hand but for $20 why put up with the hassle.

Yeah I know, I just wanted to test first before purchasing anything.

I would imagine that you can configure this by hand, after all FreePBX is a GUI that builds the configs for Asterisk and other subsystems.

Yeah I Looked online but I could not find any configuration instructions for that outside of the module.

Where did you look? These links stuck out to me:

http://www.asteriskdocs.org/en/3rd_Edition/asterisk-book-html-chunk/ExternalServices_id286789.html

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Jabber+in+Asterisk

Well I tried those and one was for older version of asterisk and the other one…I guess I don’t have jabber.res module, but I still had the jabber.conf file and it was all set up correct. I was reading and it said that FreePBX came with Prsosody. I tried to get that configured based on their websites instruction but for whatever reason it wont start, not giving an error though.

Not giving an error? I doubt that, did you look in the log?

All this to save $20US, you must not place much value on your time.

This is why people hate Linux. So I tried to get Prosody started…and it wont start, it says it refuses to start as root. Fine I get that, so I created a new user…and then tried to set a password for the new user. I get “Authentication token manipulation error” I have tried lots of “Fixes” from the web with no success. So Im not sure what to do to get this chat working, other than may for XMPP Module but who know if that will even work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you hate everything you don’t understand? I used to say Linux had a steep learning curve. After watching my IT guys do a server update, a domain and an Exchange migration in my office I take that back. I consider myself very fluent at windows desktop (including CLI AKA CMD, DOS whatever) and I can say that it would take me as long to get comfortable in that environment as it would to pickup Linux.

Linux is a powerful beast. If you have no indoctrination to *nix syntax, regular expressions, files systems, editors etc. You are going to be lost.

I am sure you did not give the user you created permission to run a root command using sudo. Linux is secure.

The shot on the commercial module working was uncalled for. You can online support from Schmooze for that $20. Quite a bargain since they charge $150.00 for support.

No, just Linux. =) I have been doing IT for 12 years, and Enterprise Administration and we do have a Nagios Box and some Amazon Web Services Linux stuff. I manage 160 WMare VMs and Exchange and all the wonder MS Server stuff…but I gotta say, nothing has frustrated me more in recent times than first time working on a PBX with Linux. Linux makes me feel like I know nothing. Yes you are right, no REAL experience with *nix syntax, regular expressions, files systems, editors etc. I’ve been using WinSCP and Putty to get through some of this, but yeah…the security on Linux escapes me.

I wasn’t taking a shot, what I meant was I want to make sure it works in spite of my tinkering trying to learn this stuff. I have no doubt the module creator made a good thing. Yes I know its only $20 bucks, but it pissing me off when I cant figure stuff out, so I was trying to put it off and see if I could do it.

And of course there is no simple answer, you have to hack your way through it.

I would think the module would overwrite your configs but if I were you I would just run a backup then reinstall and restore.

It’s why I am starting to use VM’s even on single APP machines. Makes backup and restore easy.

Of course VMware doesn’t really float my boat. Linux kernel now has KVM support. I am trying to get my Windows team to run Winserver on top of KVM, they keep telling me to go away. Maybe if I forget to release the payroll direct deposit that will get their attention (just kidding).