Why is the pricing so annoying? $1,375 (over 25 years) for the PBXact ISO over an appliance

I think you continue to miss my point. Bronze doesn’t have any support, so your argument about that is completely invalid unless we were comparing higher packages. The actual updates that would get downloaded and installed are exactly the same regardless of if it was an appliance or ISO, so the difference in price for updates only simply isn’t justified.

This is so stupid…we are talking pennies here…this must be for a home setup or one man show to do this much bitching and not get it…

These small inconsequential amounts arent even a discussion or thought in our commercial business world…

This isn’t really the place to discuss Sangoma’s commercial proposition. Pricing has been that way for nearly 4yrs. Buy it or don’t buy it, either way your issue is with sales not the community.

2 Likes

Your comment is stupid if you think $45 a month is just pennies.

How would you feel if you went to a shoe shop, and you put the left shoe on with your hands, but the right shoe using a shoe horn, and the shop charged you more simply because you applied the same shoe in a different way? You wouldn’t like it.

I think it’s a fair discussion to have, and it’s in the PBXact section. Sure, the people behind the silly pricing won’t be reading this forum and I understand there’s nothing anyone can do here, but my critique is still fair even if you don’t agree. I won’t be buying it.

Lol. You arent a business man, I can tell… Yes, $45 month is pennies when we are talking commercial VOIP phone systems… Find something else…

Your analogies have no relevance here. Buy their appliance, get PBXact. Dont buy their appliance, pay what they charge. When you open a business and sell something, you charge whatever you want right?? If you dont want to pay that, dont buy it. Its really that simple…

Who are you to tell me who I am? $45 is $45 a month, which is $1,375 over a longer period, for absolutely NO GOOD REASON. If there was a reason or it included support it would be different.

My analogies have every relevance, and explain how the pricing is unfair. If you think it is fair or you simply don’t care, then good for you. I am well aware that as a business, of course they can charge what they want, just like I won’t be buying, but that doesn’t mean it’s fair or right, and not something I would do if I was in their shoes.

You mean the silly pricing where if you buy an appliance with a bundle package you get a discount versus buying it al a cart? Yeah, that is some silly pricing that no other place existing does at all.

Buy a Bronze Pack on its own, $105 + $1/user. Buy Bronze Pack bundled with an appliance, $75. Same with the other things. It’s almost like they are making the appliances more appealing than DIY installs.

1 Like

Its not worth going back and forth anymore. He doesnt get it. Just wants to cry and complain. But “hes not buying” :rofl:

I know Sangoma Partners who charge way more to setup and maintain FreePBX.

I know Sangoma Partners who charge way less to setup and maintain FreePBX.

You get what you pay for.

If you don’t like Sangoma’s pricing models, find someone cheaper and have someone code up a replacement for all commercial modules you want…

1 Like

Yet you still came back to leave that comment instead of not replying at all. We’re both allowed our opinions, there’s no need to basically insult me.

As far as I understand, the bronze “support” update package for PBXact would be the same regardless of the partner?

No, I dont pay those prices your quoting. As a partner and coded with a distributor, I pay less…

Nope, Sangoma says. Getting 100 agrees or disagrees here is meaningless. You literally do not have to use their software. If you legally want their software, you have to pay for it in the way they prescribe. Is that reasonable? Yes, of course it is.

You could also contact Sangoma for more direct ways to donate to the project.

You’ve not described your skills. So it is impossible to know. I am just trying to help with alternatives to just posting on the forums.

If you feel strongly, why not reach out to Sangoma to speak with someone that can talk to you about the costing structure? Another option could be to work at Sangoma and influence change from the inside.

The people at Sangoma want the company to succeed, it is literally their job. They also have the benefit of seeing the financial data and understanding if their approaches are having the desired results. If none of this is acceptable to you, I recommend not using the platform. You could put the effort back into another solution or other aspects of your focuses.

I forgot this was another option too. :slight_smile:

I doubt I as a single user would be able to recieve lower pricing. All of my contact has been with the UK Sales Team at Sangoma so far and there is no room for negotiation without having significantly large contracts. I am still waiting to hear back about a seperate enquiry to a distributor about phones, when that comes back I will enquire but I’m not expecting much.

Indeed, getting a specific number of agrees or not is meaningless, but opening a discussion isn’t. That’s what forums are for, right? Just like I can choose not to use their software, I can choose to express my disappointment at their pricing model, in the hope of change one day. Remember, I’m here with the intent to purchase, I’m not just complaining about price purely for the sake of complaining - I’m here because I’ve got quite far in to the sales process to find out the unfair - in my opinion - pricing structure. I think my disagreement and post here is reasonable.

I was considering a purchase with a renewal fee, which I have discovered is unfair. Why would I be willing to donate to them now, with the unethical pricing, and recieve nothing? I’d rather they fix the pricing and I just purchase normally.

The UK rep seemed dismissive enough when I asked about the price difference. Who else would I be able to reach out to?

Didn’t you literally just do this though? You created a post, and the community responded. Some of the posts seemed somewhat helpful as it looked like people were engaging to share differing thoughts and perspectives. One of the things I like about this specific forum is that it is small but active and people are always trying to help each other (albeit contentiously sometimes, from some people) The way I read most of the initial responses were people being genuine in their engagement with you.

When you made the post what were your intentions? And of those intentions are any still outstanding?

Front door would be here: Customer Service - Sangoma Technologies

There are some employees that visit this forum occasionally with @lgaetz being the most visibly active. You might be able to DM one of them to see if there is another way to get in contact with an appropriate resource.

2 Likes

As mentioned, I have already been in touch with the UK sales team. I asked them directly why there is a difference and their reply was unhelpful. They would be in the best position to get a response from inside, I shouldn’t really need to contact them via the front door - likely to only be sent back to the same person anyway.

I do not believe this price discrepency should exist in the first place. Some of the replies do not seem to understand my point that both the appliance and ISO will get the same software and any difference in support doesn’t apply to the basic contract as it is only for software updates.

No, we get that. We’ve been trying to explain how al a cart versus bundles work to you. You know if you have the FreePBX distro and get the Everything Bundle of commercial modules for 25 years you get around a $1200 savings for the exact same software and licenses. So while I spent around $3200 on the bundle, someone else buying them individually will pay $4500-ish for the same modules and software.

To recap, if you buy an appliance you get things bundled at a discounted rate because it was determined that supporting hardware they know is cheaper than supporting a end user that installed PBXact on a old laptop from 2010 running VirtualBox on it.

You are comparing buying things individually against bundled products/software which has a discounted price. This is a very, very common practice across multiple industries.

1 Like