What would you do for this issue?

I have a system version 2.10 that the GUI reports that Asterisk has stopped and the SSH server has stopped also. The GUI has several modules greyed out, extensions, inbound, etc… I rebooted the system from the GUI twice. We had some really bad storms rool through here over the weekend. The system is on a UPS. I can look at the CDR report and the system is handling calls. I am thinking when I can get there to put a monitor and keyboard on it and see if I can restart the services. Anyone ever seen this before???

Ever had what Ed? You have been at this for years and you still never provide enough information to help.

2.10 is your FreePBX version. Doesn’t tell us a think about Asterisk or how system installed.

Second “still processing calls” indicates that the Asterisk is up. Is it up or isn’t it?

If FreePBX is losing the AMI connection the same thing would happen.

Why do you need to hook up a monitor and keyboard. If you can web to it why can’t you SSH and check if Asterisk is running and AMI connections?

The installation is a full FreePBX distro, Centos 6.2 The users have not indicated a problem with making or receiving calls. The status screen that shows status of Asterisk, MYSql, Webserver, SSH Server, shows that Asterisk and SSH servers are not running. I cannot connect over SSH, it times out, that is why I think I need to connect a monitor and keyboard. I cannot program several Applications, Call FLow, Extensions, Follow Me. They are not links (they are faint, as if th elink is gone) If I try to open Ring Group I get a fatal error: No open connection to asterisk manager, can not access object. So it would seem that the connection between Freepbx and Asterisk is down.

No open connection to asterisk manager

Didn’t I say that? Is there an echo in here?

Could you connect via SSH before? It’s very odd it stopped working. Maybe CPU slammed?

Yes you did say that. I was able to connect using SSH. The CPU is at 0. Memory usage is less than 15%

I was joking…

Anyway…With access to console everything is a guessing game so at this point as you said have to hook physical up and see what is going on.

I got an email from one of the users stating that his Voicemail to Email wasn’t working. I went onsite and found that I hadn’t allowed SSH through the firewall (not to self made on that one). I checked to see if Postfix was running and it wasn’t. It couldn’t find localhost. Hmmm… Looked at the host file and no localhost entry. A quick edit, a reboot and Voila things appear to be back to normal. Kinda baffled how the hosts file could have gotten that way. Gonna Google that one.

Go into /etc/ssh/sshd_conf and comment out the port line and change it to something other than default. Then so service sshd restart Forward TCP (whatever your odd port is) to the box. Also make a user account with adduser and set “allowrootlogin” to no in the same file. Now you will login as that user that do an su - to hop up to root level.

Thanks for the tip SkyKing.