What a bad surprise

Got my flashing new Intel NUC BXNUC10i5FNH2
Latest 2011-5 iso installing…done, reboot.
Console login and… no nic available :sob: :sob:
It seems the onboard Intel I219-V nic is not recognized by os.

I have repeated installation plugging a TpLink USB to Gigabit ethernet adapter, all is working fine.
But surely is not a serious workaround…

Any hint ?
Is Intel NIC unsupported ?
Can driver be added to ISO ?
Can I add NIC driver to system after usb-eth adapter installation then switch to native nic and remove adapter with no issues to system functionality ?

Thanks

Should be “yum install e1000e” or similar to get the Intel driver.

The ethernet drivers shipped with Linux are sometimes not the best solution. Same here with APU2 (the in kernel driver of even Linux 4.14). You could try the original Intel sources, which can be found here. They are working for me absolutely perfectly. The in kernel driver on the other side showed packet loss and other strange behavior from time to time here. Very bad regarding the requirements of VoIP.

Install Linux Mint 20.1 64-bit on the NUC
Install VirtualBox
Boot a new virtual machine from the freePBX-Distro-iso file (DVD/CD) and install it
Add the machine to the Linux Mint Startup applications. That’s it.

It’s 100% stable. I have been using Linux Mint with Virtualbox at 4 locations. It has the advantage that you can always go back to a previous VM snapshot, if something doesn’t work anymore e.g. after an update. You can also move a freePBX image from one hardware to another, without doing the install and config work.

Attach a hdmi dummy to the hdmi-port to ensure high res, when no monitor is connected to your NUC. I use Nomachine for remote control.

No package e1000e (or similar) searching in distro repository.
Any suggestion/howto once just installed from distro iso ?

No time and immediate knowledge to install linux as virtual machine host despite it would be a good idea.

Well,
Once distro was installed with a temporary USBtoETHERNET adapter that’s what I’ve done:

rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
yum install https://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
yum install kmod-e1000e
created new /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
reboot

Machine starts with two working NICs

Removed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
Renamed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (and edited device and device name inside this file)

Rebooted machine without usb-ethernet adapter, et voila’
It seems all is working fine with onboard I219-V nic

1 Like

The CentOS Folks say it’s in the kernel:

Need Help: I219-v Driver Issue In CentOS 7 Installation (centosfaq.org)

Firmware Update on the NUC?

Far from my skill to handle os, kernel etc etc with unpredictable risk of failure (again beacuse of my little knowledge). :tired_face:
Wait for a next distro release to include driver at iso installation level…

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.