Weird Giant wav files in the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/extension/tmp directory

Had a machine CHOKE this morning when I tried to run a backup - no insight in the logs, so I finally went and started looking with top to see what was going on - gzip was taking up all the disk channel (and preventing the machine from processing calls…luckily they are not here today) - finally started exploring and found that the backup was 16G - 14 of which was these weird files in the tmp directories for the mailboxes:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 0 Aug 11 2017 eGYMtU
-rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 1.5G Aug 12 2017 eGYMtU.wav
-rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 0 May 29 2017 oM0nUu
-rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 2.1G May 30 2017 oM0nUu.wav
-rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 0 Oct 20 2017 qhM5k4
-rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 98M Oct 20 2017 qhM5k4.wav

Anybody else seen this? I see a couple of other posts about large files in other directories, but not THIS large.

Interesting, I would

ls -lsrt --full-time /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/*/tmp/*

I suspect that asterisk crashed and left residual files there that never terminated on those days way back when (no logs left to check though :slight_smile: ) 2G is a lot of seconds, so the file will spill into the next day. I would possibly run a cronjob to delete /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default//tmp/ at 4 in the morning to stop that in the short term, but why they are still there? that’s another forensic.

1 Like

Yeah, its a first - oh well, maybe if anyone else sees it, we will get a reason.

Did you listen to any of those files before deleting them?

Before I limited my message length, I used to get people calling my 800 number and leaving random advertisements while they told me to “hang on”. I never did figure out how that scam was supposed to do anything but run up my phone bill, but it did generate some ridiculous file lengths.

No, I didn’t listen to them - just in a rush to get that machine backed up and working.

Sweet mysteries of life…

Perhaps next time, keep your cool and

man truncate

you can keep the first minutes/housrs/seconds ( the -s thingy) and also free up your disk, so you know what happened, if it happened once . . . .

Hmmm…work on annoying one-off problem Pro-Bono or clear error and move on to productive work I can bill for…pretty easy choice for me! :smiley:

hehe, until it happens again . . . , your asterisk crashed three times last year, do you know why?

Probably, but honestly I am working towards a solution where it won’t matter anymore.

Only so many hours in the day…

hehe, and only so many days in a 2.1g file, best place to put it is maybe not under the rug, but I understand your thinking, I am definitely more inquisitive, and love solving mysteries.

Just keep a better eye on your system ongoing perhaps. installing and configuring logwatch would be a good start.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.