Warm spare backup breaks stuff after updates

We have a nightly warm spare backup setup to copy everything over to our secondary server. Recently we had some updates on our primary server, and I’m wondering if major updates could break the warm spare if certain files are copied over via the backup instead of actually running updates on that secondary server.

What is the best practice here? Should I always run updates on both systems? I’d like to have a way to “test” updates to make sure I don’t have any problems in production.

Yes run your updates on each of your servers so that your FreePBX and OS are up to date then run your warm spare backup.

The warmspare backup and restore process should be used to push only data between the primary to the warmspare.

BTW my experience is with 13 and below. I have no experience with 14.

Sorry, I forgot to mention which versions I’m on:

FreePBX Distro: FreePBX 14.0.2.14
Current Asterisk Version: 13.19.1
PBX Firmware: 12.7.4-1804-1.sng7
PBX Service Pack: 1.0.0.0

Have you ever encountered issues from updates? I’ve always tried to test updates in some way before doing them in production.

If updates work on your primary, why not update your warm spare?

Works best if all modules etc are the same version.

My thinking was that I could run updates on the primary first thing one morning (or after hours). Do a basic sanity check, and if all seems well, let business run on it that day. Then if still no issues, the warm spare backup would synchronize the changes to the secondary server.

But if we encountered unrecoverable errors (for some odd reason) during that day, I would have the “warm spare” as a failover option. Just preparing for worst-case scenarios.

That’s not how backup and restore works.

You gotta have most similar versions.

Exactly how I do it except that after that day of testing updates on the primary. If everything goes well I do the update on the warm spare before I synchronize it with the primary. This way all modules etc are on the same ver before synch occurs.

1 Like

Hi Brad

Also, be warned if using PJSIP, when the restore is completed, the trunks will be enabled, regardless of if you have disable trunks selected.

For the reason, we haven’t been able to use the warm backup feature for months.

Cheers

@unison IIRC, this was a bug, and already fixed.

Also, you can always run a post backup script to manually disable your Trunks.

It was an issue for both PJSIP and chan_sip - the fix provided (https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-16782) resolved chan_sip.

Post backup script doesn’t work (according to the other posts on the matter).

Thanks for the input. I’ll do as @frankb stated:

Our trunks don’t require registration, so I haven’t noticed any problems yet, however, I am interested in the script if you have an example.

Can’t find it at the moment, but i remember seeing it here.

Thanks. Looks like it’s still in development here: https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-16782

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.