Voicemail setting glitch in device and user mode

On FreePBX 13.0.42, asterisk 11.19.0 - FreePBX in device and user mode. This is intermittent, but has happened to me with about 2 out of 10 extensions I set up. Here’s what’s happening.

I created a user with voicemail, then create a device as fixed and linked to the new user. When FreePBX configs are applied, the endpoint will work, voicemail will work, but asterisk complains with a notice on the cli console that it has “received a subscribe for a peer with no mailbox…” If I check the /etc/asterisk/sip_additional.conf, there is no mailbox= line for the sip extension. If I switch FreePBX back to extension mode and simply open the extension for editing and submit/apply, the mailbox= setting will be there and the notices on the asterisk console CLI go away. Is this by design? I would think the mailbox option would only be missing if the device was set up as adhoc and not fixed?

Device and user mode has not officially been supported for years and there are undoubtedly lots more glitches of that nature.

What? According to what I have read here, freepbx always operates in device and user mode, extension mode is the illusion that combines them together, so I find it difficult to believe it is ‘unsupported’. The fields that get saved to the configuration database should be the same and so should the scripts that generate the asterisk config files.

While the functionality you state is “true”. User and Device mode is not supported. FreePBX generally assumes you are running in Extension mode and therefore combines lots of the functionality therein in other modules. When you are in User and Device mode there is a separation of “two” in Extension mode the two are combined into one and thus other modules make this assumption as well.

The issue you’ve run into here is a prime example of the unsupported nature of User and Device mode.

So sorry, it’s not supported.

That’s not good. So, we can’t even get freepbx to reliably write out basic sip config file accurately in device and user mode and its shrugged off as unsupported?

On the FreePBX wiki site here:http://wiki.freepbx.org/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/5242941

The bubble at the top says it is for advanced users. Nothing about it being ‘unsupported’, plus there are many environments that once invested in this pbx platform need to run in device and user mode. I have environments that have made use of this since trixbox ce primarily in highly dynamic environments where people are always at a random desk and need to log in to receive their calls. For as long as this mode has been around, the fact that it’s ‘unsupported’ and still required for a lot of deployments is very disappointing. Why not add the flexibility needed to extension mode and eliminate the need for most installations to need the device and user mode option altogether?

Additionally, I’m not requesting formal paid support, I am just asking a question on the forums. Maybe I have misunderstood the point of the forums here, but more optimistically, perhaps there is a patch or a work around (short of switching back to extension mode) someone else in the community can offer that might help. Does everything have to be classified as ‘supported’ to work as expected or to get help from the community? I don’t think that expecting the FreePBX GUI to write a sip config file correctly in device and user mode is asking too much. It isn’t on par with complaining about it breaking a third party add-on module or something. This couldn’t be more core to the entire platform.

No. I did not say that. We say user and device mode is “unsupported” you can still open bugs on it (Didn’t even know this was an issue until this thread). I didn’t even shrug it off. I merely agreed with @AdHominem

Specifically says “Many parts of FreePBX do not support this mode”.

When I say it’s unsupported it doesn’t mean we are rejecting tickets or that you should move on. You are putting words into my mouth that I never said. If it’s a big deal to you open a ticket and it will be addressed in a timely manner. I think you are just getting upset because we’ve mentioned it’s unsupported.

Open. A. Bug. Report.

No. @AdHominem was just trying to help.

Agree. So open a bug report.

Look. A community member told you the mode was unsupported. You told him it was “difficult” to believe. I came in here backing up his claim. Never said anything to the fact of not fixing this. You made that claim yourself.

If you want to keep trying to make it work, best of luck to you.

My experience has been that there are many parts of FreePBX that “assume” (that may not be the right word, but its the best I can think of right now), that you’re running in Extension Mode and that when you operate in device and user mode, you run the risk that the assumptions made by other parts will turn out to be wrong, with unexpected results.

As a result, I would not use it.

P.S. I have no connection with the developers of FreePBX, and I don’t speak for them. I’m telling you what have been my observations over several years. My conclusion is:

DON’T USE DEVICE & USER MODE.

Thanks for clarifying Andrew, I wish though you would have made some of those comments initially instead of just saying it was not supported especially since that was never my question in the first place. Sorry for getting underwear bunched up.

FYI- you can have the same effect as Device & User Mode when using Extension Mode:

1. Create two extensions that you want to be the same. Each should have a private extension number that you will not give out. In my example, I’ll use 290 and 291. Set-up Voicemail on 290, but NOT on 291.

2. Create a Ring Group with the extension number you want to use, have it ring 290 and 291 for however many rings you want, and then go to x. 290 VM.

3. In the CID Num Alias field for both extensions, put the Ring Group Number.

4. For x. 291, change the Mailbox field in the Extensions Module to [email protected]

That is similar if I had more devices than users and not Vice versa. In environments where many users share the same physical phone and need to just log into the device with their user because they never know what device they will be at (aka hot desking), what you’re proposing is not quite the same effect.

Mulderlr

What kind of phones are you using? The Phone Apps module has full hot desking feature at the device level.

Also your setup of using adhoc is what alot of modules in FreePBX do not support. Yes under the covers FreePBX always uses devices and users but so many modules assume the device and user are the same so people using device and user mode in non adhoc do not see issues. The issues are when using adhoc mode.

Mostly older cisco 79x0, a handful of Aastra and a few yealinks. Yes, the aastras and yealink can use the phone apps module, the ciscos… not so much.

Again, Tony, that’s all well and good that adhoc mode might confuse some modules, but it doesn’t address the original concern. Surely something as core as a sip config can be written out correctly. That’s all.

Again in adhoc mode things don’t work well. It’s not going to change as its not our focus and we only have so many resources and D&U mode is rarely used.

@tonyclewis Do whatever you want with this information. All I was doing was reporting an issue in case someone else runs into the same thing. If someone had a work around or fix, great. If not, no big deal. I understand you guys have priorities, so just press on. I appreciate all you guys do.