Voicemail folder lock error

Hey guys,

seeing this in the logs:

[2013-11-09 21:44:27] WARNING[1807] app.c: Failed to lock path ‘/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/201/Urgent’: File exists
[2013-11-09 21:44:27] WARNING[1807] app_voicemail.c: Could not open mailbox 201

if I look in that directory it has:

[root@pbx Urgent]# ls -lah
total 8.0K
drwxrwx— 2 asterisk asterisk 4.0K Nov 9 21:48 .
drwxrwx— 15 asterisk asterisk 4.0K Oct 14 13:33 …
-rw-rw---- 2 asterisk asterisk 0 Nov 5 20:23 .lock
-rw-rw---- 2 asterisk asterisk 0 Nov 5 20:23 .lock-634307e2

Am I correct in assuming I can just delete the “.lock” files?

That is what I have been doing…it is getting ridiculous on how often it happens so I have made a cron job to clear all lock files

Something is wrong with your system. I have never seen this happen in 10 years of managing 100’s of systems.

How was the system installed?

I have never ever seen that either. Seems something is not right on your system or version of Asterisk.

it’s a straight up freePBX_distro install for mine.

The only funky thing i did was create softlinks for the vm so that multiple deskphones (digium d40) would have their vm indicator light up for a single mailbox. In other words, a ringroup consisting of ex: 201, 202, 203 dumps to the vm of 201 if nobody answers. With the soft links all three desk phones light up and can view the vm of box 201.

I bet its your softlinks that are causing it or something with Digium Visual Voicemail

FreePBX distro, usual updates, etc. Nothing special that I remember, I think some update in the last few months started the problem and we have enabled more people (business changes/growth) with voicemail so I notice it more often.
People check the voicemail through their IP phones.

Can I offer you more info?

I believe you are correct as I was able to fix this with a permission’s change on the vm directories. Don’t remember what exactly I set it to but I haven’t seen the issue since.