VM option 8, transfer to extension over IAX2 trunk

I have two FreePBX systems connected using an IAX2 trunk. I’m trying to transfer a VM on my extension to an extension on the OTHER FreePBX system.

1. Dial *97 to check my VM
  2. Press 1 to listen to messages
  3. Listen to first message
  4. Press 8 to “transfer”
  5. Press 1 to enter the extension to transfer
  6. Enter 2401

Result is that it is an invalid extension. My extension is 1701 and all extensions at my FreePBX instance are 1XXX. The extensions on the other FreePBX instance that is connected over the IAX2 trunk are 2XXX. Regular call transfer and extension to extension dialing work fine.

It seems like this option in the VM menu doesn’t follow any outbound routes logic?

Is there anything I can do to make this work?

You are correct , comedian mail doesn’t use outbound routes, from the manual

• “8” Forward the message to another user on the system.

2401 is not a user on that instance of comedian mail.

Thanks. I’ve not really found a workaround for this. The FreePBX phone apps have the same limitation as well. The only solution I could find was to forward via email since we use the VM to email functionality.

This is a limitation of Comedian Mail - I don’t think you’re going to find a solution that works well.

One thing you could try is to set up Virtual Extensions for your other server (so CM can see them) and have that extension be a SIP transfer to the other server. Even then, though, I don’t think it’s going to work the way you want it to.

If you try this approach and it works with the local hard drive to store the messages, the next convoluted step would be to NFS share the mailbox directories across the two server, but that’s gonna get ugly fast.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.