Using one FreePBX Install as a FXO trunk

Hi, I’m looking for some advice.

I have two systems, system1 and system2

system1 contains all user extensions and is the main install for the organization. (PBXAct (FreePBX))

system2 is essentially an old Digium Switchvox 65 that has a 4 port DHADI FXO board installed. (FreePBX)

The POTS service provider refuses to transfer any ownership of the DIDs and the customer would not like to buy an FXO box (I was suggesting a Vega but they are pretty expensive).

I would like to somehow route all external calls from system1 through system 2 straight through the FXO ports. System2 doesn’t contain any extensions so system2 would be purely used for incoming and outgoing external calls (more or so a medium).

What is the best way to accomplish this?

I have tried setting up a regular extension on system2 and then adding that SIP ext onto system1 as a trunk but the problem I face is with the CID. I naturally thought that I would just use the external number as the CID in the trunk settings but when I do that system2 shows that the call is anonymous (see picture 1). The call does not complete. When i change the caller ID in the trunk settings to the extension number used for the trunk extension of system2 (1000), system1 doesn’t route the call to system2 and I get a busy circuit message from system1.

The second thing I tried was doing an IAX2 trunk but I got stumped when I created the trunk and the status was stuck at “Unknown and Unmonitored” in the “asterisk info”.

In thinking that there has got to be an easy way to do this but I just can’t seem to figure it out. Googling around doesn’t seem to help either because of the uniqueness of the scenario.

Any help is much appreciated.

In my opinion, the best way would be to create a trunk between both systems, either IAX2 or SIP. You then create an intra-company outbound route in system1 to send calls to system2 using that trunk.

You can use this link as a starting point:

https://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4161588

By the way, I guess you can’t or don’t want to move the FXO card from system2 to system1. Are those systems installed in different locations?

That would be the simplest method, assuming the card is supported directly in FreePBX. If the card isn’t supported directly, leaving it where it is could be your simplest solution.

System 1 only has 1 PCIE Slot. The FXO card is PCI unfortunately :confused:

That’s was the first thing I thought of.

I’ll give that a try tonight thanks for your help :slight_smile:

So after a few long days of trying to figure this out I completely gave up and just decided to buy one of the Vega gateways.

I was able to get the IAX trunk set up correctly and able to connect but after trying every single thing in the book (wiki) I couldn’t get the outbound routes to correctly route the calls in one trunk and out the other on the box with the FXO card. Im not sure if its just not technically possible but i figured by the time i got it to work i would already be charging them the price of a gateway. so i guess we’ll see how this adventure plays out.

Thanks for your help again,

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.