Using extensions_custom.conf to choke number of calls to an extension

I am using extensions_custom.conf to create a choke for calls forwarded to a particular extension. The extension can accept 8 calls. The intended behavior is this;
If there are less than 8 calls then ring the extension for X amount of time.
If there are already 8 calls, send Busy.
If no one answers, after X time, hang up.
If the lines are busy, then send to the Voice Mailbox.

The problem is that with my current config, cannot get more than 4 calls to ring. If I do not use this custom destination for my inbound route and just use the extension directly, it allows 8 calls with no problem.

This issue arises because of what could be a large number of inbound calls at once. (possibly 200 or more) which overloads the endpoint, hence the desire to choke it off by the use of a custom destination.

Here is what my settings look like in extensions_custom.conf

[1401-choke]
exten => s,1,Set(GROUP()=1401)
exten => s,2,GotoIf($[${GROUP_COUNT(1401)} > 8]?1003)
exten => s,3,Dial(SIP/1401,180)
exten => s,4,Goto(1401-${DIALSTATUS},1)
exten => 1401-BUSY,1,Voicemail(1401@default,u)
exten => 1401-BUSY,2,Hangup
exten => 1401-NOANSWER,1,Hangup
exten => s,1003,Busy

Any expert insight is greatly appreciated.

Notice anything wrong with this? That is probably part of the problem. Do you have the max outbound channels limited as well?

Also, because I’m very curious…how does this extension get 200 incoming calls at once?

It can actually get to greater than 200 easily. It’s what happens when a very popular radio station in the US’s largest markets (think NYC, Chicago, LA, and yes, even Sacramento) runs a very popular call in contest. It can flood the broadcast phone system and overwhelm it. So we try to limit the “set up messages” to no more than there are places to actually put calls, this keeps the messages from being forwarded to the endpoint.

I consider myself only an “intermediate” user and so I have to admit to not fully understanding all of the settings in this file. I operate on the “find an example and try it” principle and ask questions of the community as needed.

Are you suggesting the 1003 is a problem? As I understand it, it should only get this far IF the GROUP_COUNT is greater than 8? I can’t make it past 4 as far as I can tell.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.