Users hear dial tone on calls picked up from holding. Pages barging in

Hello:

We have a client using FreePBX 2.10 and Asterisk Ver. 1.8.16.0. They have 21 Aastra 6757i phones throughout.

Originally, they were on an earlier version of FreePBX and Asterisk 1.6. At that time, they were not experiencing the two issue that I’m about to describe. We flattened the PBX server and rebuilt it with the latest FreePBX distro.

1. When a call is picked up from being on hold, they often hear a dial tone in the side tone on the call. The external party cannot hear the dial tone. Only the internal party.
  2. When paging a paging group, the page barges in on in-progress calls and is heard within them. Sometime, the call will drop. “Duplex” is disabled and “Busy Extensions” are set to skip.

I upgraded the firmware on all phones, but the issue was not resolved.

Anyone else seen this?

Tho I have not experienced any of the issues you describe, I have encountered enough bugs in the 3.x firmware branch to avoid it. Just for fun, roll the firmware back to 2.6.2019 (last of the 2.x branch) and see if the issues remain.

The page issue is a setting in the phone. Something about allow barge with pages.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll try your suggestions and see if I get better results.

I spoke to Aastra Support, and as you likely know, they always try upgrading the firmware to the most current release as a first step. They’re Support Team for IP phones is always extremely helpful and happy to assist through resolution, but they weren’t aware of these issues. So aside from firmware updates, there wasn’t much to pursue.

Thanks again. As always, much appreciated.