Use of authname resp. username for phones / peers

Hello everyone,

I’m playing around with FreePBX for a couple of days now and everything is working great. I really think the GUI is easy and does whatever I like to change.

But one thing I couldn’t figure out until now, how can I change the authname for my peers?

We had a Voip server before which was not very secure so at one point some script kiddies were calling through our lines. So my boss said I should look into it and I would really like to set different usernames for the phones than the phone extension.

I played around with the auth= or username= parameter in sip_aditional.conf but the connection was always rejected by asterisk. even if it shows the peer correctly in the list:

Name/username Host Dyn Forcerport ACL Port Status

1000/testuser (Unspecified) D A 0 UNKNOWN
1070/1070 10.10.10.240 D A 5062 OK (24 ms)

I know that the changes will be overridden by the GUI the next time I apply the changes from the GUI but about this or altering the GUI for the username parameter will be done later, first I want to make it authenticate with usernames itself.

[Jan 7 12:29:05] NOTICE[22354]: chan_sip.c:25572 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:testuser@******.org’ failed for ‘10.10.10.121:5060’ - No matching peer found

I would appreciate your help.

Would not the variable be ‘defaultuser’ ?

You can add variables in sip with the custom files. I tried to find the link for you but I got an error in our wiki.

yeah I saw this as well but then thought this would more make sense if the defaultuser variable is for the device + user mode where the phone gets a default user.

but anyway if I add defaultuser to the phone configuration it doesn’t work as well, still
NOTICE[22354]: chan_sip.c:25572 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘’ failed for ‘10.10.10.121:5060’ - No matching peer found