Use GraphQL generate a call - Why Not?

So, why can we not generate a call with GraphQL?

It is the most modern API in use on FreePBX. I have a developer writing a module in HubSpot that we want to use to initiate a call from the HubSpot user’s extension to the contact they are interaction with inside HubSpot.

I would think that GraphQL would be the ideal place to set this up. Why was this immediately shot down? Sure, I can work around it and have the app auth to some other nodejs system that is then trusted by FreePBX and have that system reach in and use AMI or a custom script.

But that makes more pieces to write, maintain, update, and troubleshoot.

My initial thought is if anything this would be a rest api. GraphQL is a data query language used to consume and mutate data. REST would be more appropriate for actions such as “generate a call”. More useful would likely be websockets for real time feedback. This can already be done by way of the asterisk manager interface.

Writing a module to do this would also be pretty simple but would likely need to be a community led effort as it is likely to compete with current commercial interests.

1 Like

I defaulted to asking about the currently hotly developed API interface, GraphQL.
I honestly do not care which item it is. Is this functionality in REST? I’ll use that.

Websockets and live feedback would be maybe a phase 2. Right now the customer just wants to get all the calling in their PBX and out of hubspot.

I’m assuming I will be able to deal with getting call info to HubSpot with the CRM module and Zapier

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.